Sharlene's Reviews > Derrick the Dog

Derrick the Dog by B.D. Crowell

bookshelves: first-reads, children-stories

I received this book as the result of a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway.

I have so much to comment on here that for once I am not sure where to start!

The illustrations were very basic and yet kept drawing my eye to them. While I appreciated the night time photos, they were a bit dark...my only complaint really.

Fantastic editing with no complaints.

I love the light feel of the book and yet it has depth to it. Derrick does make a huge epiphany that does change who he is.

I appreciated that Derrick is able to send up a quick prayer for help. I love a book that teaches kids there is always hope and to empower themselves to ask for help. If you are uncomfortable with references to God, be aware, this is not an in your face, over the top religious moment and it is easily skipped if it makes you uncomfortable; Personally, I loved it. It is tastefully done and I too can get turned off by feeling like a book is preachy. This one is not one of those books.

I did laugh out loud, as well, at the, "Shut up" comment to the dog. Even I had an aha moment there...pretty sure we have said that to our fur babies more than once.

Great plot and fantastic lessons for any young child. (And maybe a reminder for us older kids.) My youngest has already read it herself and told me it was better than she expected.

This three chaptered book is great for young readers who are just taking off with reading or for snuggling up with before bed. I would recommend this book to friends with young children or as a gift for a young child you know.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derrick the Dog.

December 15, 2013 – Shelved