C.G. Drews's Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

bookshelves: 4-star, dystopian, read-2014, young-adult, superheroes, reread, read-2018
Read 2 times. Last read August 17, 2018 to August 18, 2018.

READ #2, AUGUST 2018

Ok I swear I only remember 13% of this until I reread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But aaanyway...I just so enjoy this world! These characters! This is SO good rereading! And the difference between my love for this book as opposed to all the iffy feels I have for book 1?! SO MUCH THO. The character arcs are incredible here. The writing just wholly wraps me up and stuffs me in its pockets. I forgot how much I utterly adore Tahereh Mafi's style. I just !!! I LOVE IT !! SO MUCH !!!

Reread thoughts:
☆ I hate myself buuuuut...wARNER'S REDEMPTION ARC AFDKSADLFJ
☆ I quite like him because he's interesting and complex and antiheroes are what I'm here for
☆ There are many soft™ moments and vulnerable moments and just highly-emotional talking scenes...instead of endless tedious action or planning...and I love that?! I do. Maybe it feels a bit fanfic-ish but I'm in full favour of this. I would happily sell several souls for more books like this.
☆ Still not a fan of how Juliette is the ONLY dimensional female character.
☆ And, ngl, Warner is still creepy with how fast he comes for Juliette, but considering he can (view spoiler) and she's actually thinking about how she's attracted to him -- it makes him less predatory than he seemed in bk 1. He also says (a) "I admire that you shot me" which is super lovely wow romance these days look at these kids and (b) he says he never would've kissed her unless he thought/she acted like she wanted it. But it's still SO FAST for the romance. Eeek.
☆ Adam is a like an empty peanut butter jar that you remember fondly liking at one point but now ??? it useless mate
☆ KENJI IS THE DRAMA KWEEN OF THE WORLD AND WILL LOVE HIM FOREVER
☆ who will you die for in this series??? KENJI
☆ also James is super cute (and should probably have been 6 not 10 because he acts 6 but whatever)
☆ I love !! the writing !!
☆ I can't believe I've read nearly 600 pages of Tahereh Mafi words today over two books
☆ my heart is so full

READ #1 FEB 2014:
This book is getting 4-stars PURELY because of one thing: WARNER. I'm in danger of being drastically in love with the villain here, so please bear with me as I spiral into doom (spend me chocolates when I'm in bookish prison too).

I'm not being secretive about this: I really didn't like Shatter Me . I found the writing awkward and the characters jerky. But Unravel Me ? Everyone assured me I'd like it a lot better, and they were right! I did! I had a fabulous time. And I read all 460-pages in one afternoon! The writing was less bizarre and it flowed gorgeously at times. The humour was top quality. And the characters? SWOON. The only thing I was a fan of is...the...um, actual story? Can I admit that? Don't spear me?

Why did I have problems with the plot? Half the time, it wasn't even logical. (view spoiler) Little things. Like the battle plans. Timing. The weight of worlds resting on teens shoulders. The entire SET UP of the rebel force! I mean, seriously? Castle is "supposedly" the leader of this mutant-movement. He's weak! I'm trying not to sound like Warner and the villains here, but I'm serious! How could Castle lead anyone? He was like a snivelling scientist and I wouldn't have trusted him to make my coffee let alone run a rebellion. And his plans sucked. Seriously. Every battle was: everyone go be killed. They had no back-up. No communication. No plan Bs.... Okay, okay. I'll stop. But the entire plot was underground full of wordy conversations or up-ground full of people getting shot because no one is PLANNING THIS REBELLION LOGICALLY.

Characters? Okay! Here I 100% approve! Juliette (the narrator) is awesome! I empathise 100% with her! She's so weak and small and fragile, I just want to be her best friend and feed her peanuts or something. I really connected with her. I mean, she's partly insane, but whatever. I hated how everyone was so crappy to her though. They (even Kenji! Dang it!) accused her of being "self involved" and all this rubbish. It made me so mad. She wasn't. I don't, for one second, believe that Juliette behaved in a way that was anything but natural. She'd been tortured all her life! For crying out loud!

Kenji? I loved Kenji! I didn't get him in the first book. But he's master of sass in this one. He's funny, has the best lines, is the comic relief, and also the one we all care about.

Adam? I feel for Adam. He's "moody" (as described by Kenji), but I understand that! I've seen some reviews complaining about him being this way, but I don't agree at all. Why can't he be "moody" (and I think that phrase has horrible strings attached to it these days)? Why can't he be a serious kind of guy? I loved Adam. Buuuuut...

I LOVED WARNER MORE!! Let me clarify: Warner is a sick psycho who was the villain in the first book, but is now a kicked puppy who's been abused his whole life and just needs someone to loooooove him. Loki? Yes. Just like Loki.

N'aww. Adorable. I'm SO up for more Warner.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

December 15, 2013 – Shelved
December 15, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
February 11, 2014 – Started Reading
February 11, 2014 –
page 173
37.53% "I'm liking this a LOT better than Shatter Me! I love Kenji's wit, and I love Juliette's crumbling personality. I SO feel for her. But I have how people treat her. :("
February 12, 2014 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 10, 2014 – Shelved as: superheroes
August 17, 2018 – Started Reading
August 17, 2018 –
page 91
19.74% "Ok but name me oNE character in this series who isn't a massive drama queen."
August 18, 2018 –
page 331
71.8% "Adam: but I love you Juliette...
Juliette: [crying] you will always mean everything to me...
Kenji: COULD YOU ALL GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER OMG THE DRAMA"
August 18, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
August 18, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! And another has been converted to the dark side of Warner-loving doom!

C.G. Drews I LOVE THE DARK SIDE.

message 3: by Mirriam (new) - added it

Mirriam Neal I KNEW WARNER WOULD TURN INTO A LOVABLE LOKI I KNEW IT I MUSTREAD THIS YESSSSSSS

C.G. Drews EVERYBODY MUST READ ABOUT WARNER AND FALL FOR HIM ASAP. THAT IS ALL.

⛈emily Um... I COMPLETELY AGREE

Adeline Reads YES WARNER MY BABY

Talia Noelle I LOVE WARNER

Hailey Hudson An empty peanut butter jar? That's quite a picture XD You reminded me, I need to reread these!