Delee's Reviews > The Drawing of the Three

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

bookshelves: fantasy, adventure, off-your-horse-and-drink-your-milk, buddy-read, stepheny-made-me, reviewed

When a very close friend lists a book as an ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!...the pressure to love it, and give it a review deserving of its fabulous-ness, is immense...when that very close friend is the gloooooorious Stepheny- the pressure is OFF THE CHARTS!!!! Anyone familiar with her- will know EXACTLY what I mean. ;)

...So here goes nothing *deep breath*...

photo 52be0ac8-bb79-4287-83a3-30d7dacde162_zpszibrxsca.jpg

THE DRAWING OF THE THREE- the second book in The Dark Tower series- takes place seven hours after we last left Roland Deschain in The Gunslinger. The Man in Black had laid his cards on the table (so to speak)...and trust him or not, Roland is going to follow his lead...

Roland wakes up on the beach, and immediately knows he has a BIG problem! Lobster-like creatures are attacking him...and before he can react to the strangeness of the situation- he has lost two of his fingers and a big toe. Now he has to worry about tending to his wounds before infection sets in. And now he has to worry about dying- before he can follow through with THE DRAWING OF THE THREE...

photo 6eb928ce-802f-4e27-a192-088446c288a1_zpscjnj0rsv.jpg

First Door (1987)- The Prisoner: Eddie Dean- Eddie is a young heroin addict who is traveling by air, attempting to smuggle cocaine into New York for the drug lord Enrico Balazar...but the flight attendants are becoming a little bit suspicious of him, and Roland is going to have to step in to get Eddie out of some veeeeeeery hot water.

photo 28b583cf-f3fb-4701-aaef-7b8445ab8ef5_zpshxxz8kmy.jpg

Second Door (1964)- The Lady of Shadows: Odetta Holmes- Odetta is a wealthy, wheelchair-bound black woman, missing her legs below the knees- after being pushed in front of a subway train. Odetta is completely unaware that she has an alternate personality "Detta Walker" who is veeeeeeeeeeeery different from the normal, kind, sweet, Odetta- in fact Detta is downright dangerous.

photo eff5344e-af49-4cd6-8674-3b030ff01c8d_zps0khujpxg.jpg

Third Door (1977)- The Pusher: Jack Mort (Mort meaning "death" in French)- Jack is a sociopath...who's relevance becomes clear- as soon as Roland sees what Jack has been up to in his evil little demented life.

photo 89829a89-be65-4dac-94f5-4dcd7cf8f580_zpspd5zminu.jpg

Each door- brings a new person into Roland's world..and each person brings a new set of problems Roland must overcome. Let the good times begin!!

photo bffd5c68-9262-4a5e-8137-580f222631f2_zps7h2x6u57.jpg

For all you GOOD-Readers that were less than over-joyed with The Gunslinger...please please please- just try to get past that hurdle, because what is in store for you in- THE DRAWING OF THE THREE, is sooooooo worth the ride!!!

...And...Thank you! Thank you! Thank you...to Quick Draw Stepheny- and my other fellow buddy-reading pals-Calamity Bev, Jumpin' Jeff, and Straight Shootin' Susan -for making this journey soooooooo much more fun than it would have ever been alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drawing of the Three.

December 15, 2013 – Shelved
page 298
February 10, 2015 –
page 332
February 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)

Jennifer Hope you like it.

Delee I am looooooooooving it!!

Thanks Jennifer. :D

✨Susan✨ Starting this Feb 1st. Can't wait.

message 4: by Delee (last edited Jan 29, 2015 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Susan wrote: "Starting this Feb 1st. Can't wait."

Ohhhhhhhhh are you group reading it with us in GE?

✨Susan✨ I did not know there was a buddy read on GE for this, but yes I will definitely join. We are doing a buddy read for the whole series in Bookworm Buddies. No set dates so I'm reading only one book a month.

Delee We are starting it in a little less than a week- It was supposed to start a couple of days ago..but a few people needed a few more days.

Delee There is a thread in group if you want to see what is going on. :D

message 8: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Jan 29, 2015 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

✨Susan✨ Definitely. This will be great! I love The G E

Delee Susan wrote: "Definitely. This will be great! I love The G E"

Yaaaaaaaay!! I am so excited- this will be our first buddy read.

message 10: by Ugur (new) - added it

Ugur I am currently reading the seventh book. Drawing of the Three was the worst book of the series for me. I hope you love it :)

message 11: by Delee (last edited Feb 02, 2015 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Ugur wrote: "I am currently reading the seventh book. Drawing of the Three was the worst book of the series for me. I hope you love it :)"

I know- I had your review for the sixth book translated to English, so I read that you were about to start the last book. :D

You thought this book was the worst? Wow a lot of my friends liked it best. It is funny how people see books sooooooo differently sometimes.

message 12: by Ugur (new) - added it

Ugur That was my temporary review i need to write the actual one.

Probably i did not like because there are few fantasy/scifi elements in this book. By the way, lots of people did not like the first book but it was one of the best in the series.

I will keep following your dark tower status updates.

message 13: by Delee (last edited Feb 04, 2015 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Thanks Ugur- I hope the series finishes well for you. :D

Stepheny Wow, Uger! I respect your opinion but I am completely taken aback! Drawing of the Three was my favorite of the series. I'm curious to know your favorites! :D (I promise I am being nice and actually curious, not being a pushy brat!:D)

message 15: by Delee (last edited Feb 04, 2015 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Don't listen to her Ugur- she IS a pushy brat..lol

Kidding...I kid. :D

Stepheny Delee wrote: "Don't listen to her Uger- she IS a pushy brat..lol

Kidding...I kid. :D"

Speaking of which- this needs to be on Stepheny-Made-Me.

Need I keep reminding you?? ;) LOL

message 17: by Ugur (new) - added it

Ugur Stepheny and Delee, please call me Ugur not Uger :)
Actually I like the ones which was in the Dark Tower world.

Stepheny My apologies Ugur!

Delee I am so sorry Ugur- I get people saying and spelling my name wrong all the time too- I will correct it right away.

Delee Stepheny wrote: "Delee wrote: "Don't listen to her Uger- she IS a pushy brat..lol

Kidding...I kid. :D"

Speaking of which- this needs to be on Stepheny-Made-Me.

Need I keep reminding you?? ;) LOL"

It has been added. :D

message 21: by Ugur (new) - added it

Ugur Delee wrote: "I am so sorry Ugur- I get people saying and spelling my name wrong all the time too- I will correct it right away."

btw i am 100% sure that you can not pronounce my name :)

Jeff Stepheny-made-me? Will this hold up in court?

Stepheny It will. We have the papers to prove it!

Jeff LOL! Yowsah!

Stepheny What can I say? I'm kind of a pushy brat. ;)

Jeff In a good way.

Stepheny Of course! ;)

message 28: by Delee (last edited Feb 06, 2015 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Jeff wrote: "In a good way."

Yes, we will go with that. ;)

Delee Ugur wrote: "Delee wrote: "I am so sorry Ugur- I get people saying and spelling my name wrong all the time too- I will correct it right away."

btw i am 100% sure that you can not pronounce my name :)"

I am 100% sure you are right! :D

Richard Nice, need the review now!

Delee lol I am sooooooooooooo behind in my reviews. I will try!!

Richard I'm being greedy but I think this one should come first : )

Delee How about second out of about ten?

Delee I have one that will probably come before it.

Richard Bah, I suppose I can allow this. But chop chop! : )

Delee Richard wrote: "Bah, I suppose I can allow this. But chop chop! : )"

LOL okay!! :D

Stepheny Ohhh yes. I concur with Richard. I am soooooooooooooo happy to see 5 stars. I'll be finishing up my rereading this weekend and we can start Misery!! :D

Dustin Yay, you finished, Delee!:) And 5 stars, too!!

Delee Looooooooooved it!!!

Stepheny A most excellent review, as always my amazing friend. <3 it's just as intimidating to be the Puuuuuusher one recommending it! Lol I'm so glad you loved it. :D I can't wait to continue the journey with you and the rest of our posse! :D

message 41: by Delee (last edited Feb 22, 2015 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Stepheny wrote: "A most excellent review, as always my amazing friend. Puuuuuusher one recommending it! Lol I'm so glad you loved it. :D I can't wait to continue the journey with you and the rest of our posse! :D"

Stepheny Bwhahahaha!!! Yesss!

Zoeytron Terrific review, Delee! This is a real favorite of mine. So glad you loved it!

message 44: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah OH! I have always said I needed to read these. I need to add them to to to-read list :)

message 45: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Jazmen Great review! I'll have to add this series :D

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Beautiful review! :D

message 47: by Jeff (last edited Feb 23, 2015 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff Thanks fer invitin' me in, pard'ner- and...I don' mean that in the sex'ual waaaaaaaaaay. ;)

Wait, did I miss something?

Oh, and wonderful review, my Rootin' Tootin' Pistol Packin' buddy!

message 48: by Delee (last edited Feb 23, 2015 06:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delee Jeff wrote: "Thanks fer invitin' me in, pard'ner- and...I don' mean that in the sex'ual waaaaaaaaaay. ;)

Wait, did I miss something?

Oh, and wonderful review, my Rootin' Tootin' Pistol Packin' buddy!"

Nah, I was just being a dumb-ass...lol

Thank you Jumpin' Jeff!!!

Delee Zoeytron wrote: "Terrific review, Delee! This is a real favorite of mine. So glad you loved it!"

I reeeeeaaaaalllly did!! Thanks Zoeytron!!

Was this your favorite of the whole series?

Delee Rebekah wrote: "OH! I have always said I needed to read these. I need to add them to to to-read list :)"

Yaaaaaaay!! I hope you like it!! :)

« previous 1