Lisa's Reviews > Cocaine Blues

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

bookshelves: 2013, ebook, mystery-series, mystery, series, historical-fiction

The first book in a long series that inspired the show MISS FISHER'S MURDER MYSTERIES, is currently available for free on the Kindle via Amazon. Since I had become obsessed with the show, it seemed natural to check in on the book series to see how it lived up.

TV and book series are pretty on par with the other. Action is high, Phryne is pretty similar in both medias, and but the character development. with the exception of Phryne, in the book series is lacking whereas the TV series feels more well thought out. Phryne is a very visual character, her frocks and accessories are very detailed in the books, as is more of her backstory is explained, but the rest of the book characters seem kind of stale in comparison to their TV counterparts. I know there had been some complaints about Detective Inspector Jack Robinson (secondary character in the books, primary in the series) and the changing of some events in the book series to the TV version actually made the storyline slightly better and still satisfying.

While I found development of the characters a bit weak, the storyline seemed abrupt at times, I am rating this a 4/5 for technique, research, and content. I also loved how Greenwood walks you through elements of the mystery without spoonfeeding them to you, which is echoed in the TV version as well.

Very enjoyable and fast read. HIghly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocaine Blues.

December 8, 2013 – Started Reading