Lilyan's Reviews > Edenbrooke

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

I am such a big fat sap. I sat down to read this on Thursday afternoon and was hooked, I eventually had to set it down, unhappily, as I was going out for dinner. The minute I got home though I stayed up to the wee hours until I had finished it.

This is a sweet, romantic, brainless novel about a 17 year old girl insecure girl in Victorian Britain finding love and her place within her family. It had me laughing, sniveling and Aw-ing.

Witty dialogue, strong heroine, charming male lead, pleasant supporting cast and a cliche albeit sweet love story. What more does a girl need? I liked this book as it concentrated on the characters emotions rather than their sexual desires, in contrast to harlequin crap.

The missing one star is for the ridiculous crime plot. I know it was just a side plot to spice up the book and make it a bit less cliche, but it was too absurd. The last couple of chapters, touching as they were, felt a bit too silly and unrealistic for me to take them seriously enough to warrant a 5 star review.

Absurdity aside, this is a lovely book and I recommend it to anyone who's sick of stupid modern chick lit. and is looking for an enjoyable sappy romance with strong leads.

Also, I've seen this compared to Jane Austen and recommended for Jane Austen fans. I beg to differ. While the two have the same settings, the comparison ends there. This is child's play compared to Austen and hard core fans will be missing Austen's Character depths. This instead will be delightful for those who are interested in Austen's ideas, yet find trouble following her writing (me,me,me,me!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edenbrooke.

December 15, 2013 – Shelved
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-romance
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: couldnt-put-down
January 11, 2014 – Shelved as: oneday-marathon-read
January 11, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Allison (last edited Jan 11, 2014 08:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison I thought it was more similar to Georgette Heyer's style than Austen's. Many of Heyer's are also witty, fluffy romantic books, set in the same time period - and not as 'deep' as Austen's, which I don't like as much.

p.s. - So glad you liked this one!

Lilyan I'll check her out! have you read anything else by this author?

This is another book I read based on your read shelves :p

Allison Lilyan wrote: "I'll check her out! have you read anything else by this author?

I haven't read her new book yet - I'm still waiting for the price to drop.

A bit of a warning about Heyer, though. She uses some really old-fashioned slang that can take some getting used to. Some parts of her books are harder to understand than others, but it's usually related to horses or boxing and can be skimmed!