Nikola Tasev's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

M 50x66

it was ok
Recommended for: 'fantasy without magic' lovers

Reading the first 4 pages I was hooked. Yes, it sounded promising. Magic, mystery, lurking danger - what's not to like?
Eight hundred pages later I was contemplating ditching the book. The prologue promised magic - and it was nowhere to be found. No mystery. Maybe there WAS a lurking danger, but it was lurking so deep that it was nowhere to be seen. The book itself is not bad - it has loads of politics, some battles and a little adventure. But why not make an assassination for the prologue, to show the general feel of the book? In the very last page the magic and mystery returned, but more as a promise, trying to hook me for the next book. No, thanks. The prologue and epilogue have absolutely nothing in common with the general story, and I felt cheated. I won't be lied to again.
People use it as an example how fantasy doesn't need magic to make a good story. Yes, you can make a good story, but it isn't showing anything new - it is just scrambling things that happened in real history on a scrambled map. This book puts on a mask, to lure in the first readers, instead of just admitting something it is praised for anyway.
So this book is for people that don't mind fantasy without magic. I, however, feel deceived and disappointed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Finished Reading