Ashley Lauren's Reviews > Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: ya-books
Read 2 times. Last read September 6, 2020 to September 7, 2020.

Hold onto your hats, folks, because I'm about to blow your mind. Are you ready for this? I just finished book two and it was better than the first.

Seriously, that never happens. At least not when it comes to young adult books lately - especially young adult trilogies (I'm assuming this is a trilogy... I could be wrong, but pretty sure I'm not.)

Honestly, I really liked this one. It was reckless and interesting and the plot moved forward at a really good pace. The danger stepped up from the first one and the stakes got so much higher. But that's not what made it better. No, it was the characters. I don't know how Bardugo did it but the fact is I don't trust anyone. No one. Not Mal, not Tamar, not Tolya, not Genya, not Baghra, not Zoya, not Sturmhond, not the Darkling (duh), and especially not Alina.

Say whaaat - how do you not trust the main character? The main character of a book written in first person? I don't and that's why this book is marvelous.

As always, I had my moments of scoffing (I mean, come on, the un-healable injury in the shoulder that hurts when the enemy is near? No one thought that was just a little too Frodo Baggins?) but overall I really like this story.

In my review of Shadow and Bone I ended it by saying that I was rooting for you Bardugo. And you pulled through! For that, I say thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siege and Storm.

December 14, 2013 – Shelved
December 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2014 – Started Reading
January 3, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-books
January 3, 2014 –
page 268
61.61% "is it possible that book two of a ya series is better than book one?! my mind may be blown!"
January 3, 2014 – Finished Reading