orannia's Reviews > Battle

Battle by Michelle West

bookshelves: 2013, fantasy

Four and a half stars. Although I enjoyed this book, all but the last fifth was rather hard going - there is a lot of detail, which is typical of this author, but it wasn't until the last 150 pages that things finally for moving. An I get that Jewel is important, but it's constantly reinforced - and I'm not a huge fan of the 'special snowflake' character. Plus, I'm waiting for her to show some cracks under all this pressure. Good to get some movement on the Angel story - I do think the sword he picked up is going to be important later...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle.

December 14, 2013 – Shelved
December 14, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 14, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
December 14, 2013 –
0.0% "I have no idea why GR is telling me the book has 656 pages, when my version has 676, nor why GR will only let me update with the percentage read...and not the page number :( FYI I'm on Page 3 and OMG this is going to be a mission. I love this author, but IMHO she could easily edit all the magic stuff :)"
December 15, 2013 – Started Reading
December 15, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 30!!! Only 646 pages to go... On the plus side, I'm feeling more positive about progressing - I'm aiming to read 20 page a day, but since I should be on Page 60 ATM I need to play catch up :)"
December 18, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 85. There is some good snark so far *beams*"
December 19, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 130, so only 10 more pages to read today to catch up. I am going to try and king hit it now I'm on holiday though so I can get to FCR :)"
December 20, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 150!"
December 20, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 150!"
December 21, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 210. Survived the big magic scene so am hoping for some juicy politics :)"
December 23, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 315. Almost halfway! I wonder if we will ever know the mystery of Angel?"
December 24, 2013 –
0.0% "At Page 335 - halfway!!!! I've also had a thought...I think Meralonne is the fourth 'Sleeper' - the one who didn't betray Moorelas..."
December 26, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on Page 385...now aiming to finish by New Year's Eve so I can re-read FCR. But before I read any more I have a pantry to finish cleaning..."
December 28, 2013 –
0.0% "Page 500!!!! Only 176 pages to go. I feel like the author is sneaking in pages at the end, because at times it feels never ending!"
December 30, 2013 –
85.0% "100 pages to go! The end is in sight!!!"
December 30, 2013 –
91.0% "Ah-ha! I thought Meralonne was the fourth 'Sleeper' and I was right! Which is a rate event :) My next theory is that Moorelas' sword is the one that Angel has picked...and he is the one that the Sleepers will ride with...because seriously I can't be Jewel..."
January 1, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Starfire Congratulations on finishing it, kechara - I'm glad you enjoyed, but I know what you mean about it being hard going!

orannia Thank you! It was a Herculean effort initially, but it definitely moved in the last 100 pages :)