Sandy's Reviews > A Year of Mornings: 3191 Miles Apart

A Year of Mornings by Maria Alexandra Vettese

Nov 25, 2009

it was ok
Read in December, 2009

"A Year of Mornings: 3191 Miles Apart" is the printed version of a blog created by two women who took a photograph every morning for a year, and posted their photos together. It's a study in domesticity most of the time - the photos are of cracked hard boiled eggs, toast about to be eaten, a book in bed, and corners and bits of their houses.

I thought I would enjoy this book, as I have a thing for the comforts-of-home photography genre, but whoever designed the print version of this project deserves to be slapped on the wrist for doing such a poor job translating an online project onto paper. The photographs are printed, side-by-side, and vary in size. Some are no more than perhaps an inch and a half across, which very much defeats the purpose of having lush, detail-filled photographs - it's hard to appreciate something when you are squinting at it (sometimes in an effort to figure out what the photograph is even of). Perhaps a third of the photographs are this inexplicable small size - the book designer seemed to be more in love with white space than the photos themselves.

It's a shame, because there are some lovely photos here, and some unique juxtapositions between the two photographs taken each day.

I found myself thinking as I flipped through the book about the whole blog-as-book phenomenon. I think I would have enjoyed the blog version of this book much more than this printed product - there is a sense of community and discussion around these photographs referred to in the introductions, etc, that is missing from the book. Sadly, the blog that "A Year of Mornings: 3191 Miles Apart" is based on was taken down when the book was published. It's too bad that they purposefully trashed the community and content that grew up around these photographs in an apparent attempt (misguided, in my opinion) to support the book release.

Two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year of Mornings.

09/16 marked as: read