Rabid Readers Reviews's Reviews > Endangered Creatures

Endangered Creatures by Stephen Dunkley

The premise of “Endangered Creatures” is a fabulous idea for a story. A secret world living under our noses. Dunkley gives us a good background on the creatures that is both plausible and entertaining. These dragons and most other creatures are thinking beings living much like the humans around them. The leader and father of the dragons, Bob, decides that there is no sense to wiping out humanity when they’re so bad for a dragon’s health so why not use them to their benefit. Make an alliance with those who want to rule a trade to get what you want, a quiet life.

While I truly enjoyed the premise of the novel, the execution left something to be desired at times. Toward the start of the novel, Bob has a theological discussion with the King that seems forced. When Bob was negotiating with the King, the conversation fell into natural rhythms but the start of the scene read as a bit shrewish on the part of Bob and while he’s openly mocking I had the sense that the author was trying to find the lines that would be too far and waffles to the point where the King comes off having the savvy and intelligence of a clown waving in the wind so that the commentary is negated.

The good news is that from the moment Connor’s difference is “discovered,” (toward the last 1/3 of the book) the story comes into its own. The flow and pacing improves and the awkward Bambi on Ice feeling of the writing earlier in the story evaporates. By the end of the story a full promise of fun, adventure and overall difference is fulfilled. I have seen this work compared to Douglas Adams but I’d lean more toward Jasper Fforde for conveying a similar fun. I will tell my followers that they should stick with this author because with this was good whatever he does next is going to be spectacular. Practice has paid off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endangered Creatures.

December 14, 2013 – Started Reading
December 14, 2013 – Shelved
December 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Dunkley Glad you liked it! And yes, I agree about the start being a bit stilted at times. When writing it originally it was going to go in a completely different direction, but the characters took over. As they tend to do.