Kimberly [Come Hither Books]'s Reviews > Dead Set

Dead Set by Richard Kadrey

Dec 14, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, 2014, horror, young-adult, standalone

A new standalone book by the author of the Sandman Slim series - very different feel from Sandman Slim though.

Unlike Kadrey's gritty, violent urban fantasy novels, Dead Set stars a teen protagonist, Zoe, whose grief over her father's recent death leads her down a dark path. In an overlooked record shop, her father's life is stored on a record and she can listen. For a price. First, a lock of hair. Then, a tooth...

Dead Set would be an appropriate read for older teens who enjoy something a little dark and scary. There's no sex, and only mild language. (NOTE: Not true for Kadrey's other stories, which are definitely for adults only.)

I enjoyed the first half. The premise is intriguing, the characters interesting, and I loved the many ways music is worked into the story. Halfway, Zoe falls into a bizarre shadow realm, the city of dead souls. For me, the entire section there didn't work, as it was too disconnected from the main plot and the character's emotional reactions. Everything in the other realm (about half the book) felt like a completely different story to me.

Overall, I do still recommend Dead Set, but only if you enjoy stories set in nightmare realms. I prefer a little more realism in my fantasy, and the transition to a Lovecraftian realm was too prolonged and unconnected for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Set.

December 14, 2013 – Shelved