Russell's Reviews > The Confessions of St. Augustine

The Confessions of St. Augustine by Augustine of Hippo

Oct 18, 2007

liked it

The edition I got was a mixed blessing.

It's a Modern English translation, which made it a lot easier to read and understand. The rendering of Thou as You, I'll admit, was a bit annoying since I am familiar with the King James Bible and so archaic words aren't scary, but archaic sentence structures do slow me down compared to a more modern versions. So that was nice.

However, it's abridged. I don't care for abridged books. I rather read the whole thing as author intended instead of someone deciding what I should or shouldn't read.

The only thing I can say is I need to be more careful when ordering books online to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

That said, the book is spectacular. The first autobiography as we think of them, it's more than that. A blend of soul baring, of rejoicing in God, of recognizing one's faults and weaknesses and how poorly one's own reasoning powers can work. He concerns himself with the ideas of time, of God, of what it means to be a person and how best to serve God and our fellow men.

I'm swiping this from Sparknotes:

Saint Augustine of Hippo, whose full name was Aurelius Augustinus, was born in a.d. 354, in the city of Tagaste, in the Roman North African province of Numidia (now Algeria). His moderately well-to-do family was religiously mixed. His father, Patricius, was a pagan who still adhered to the old gods of Rome, and his mother, Monica, was a devout Christian. Such families were typical of this era, when paganism was in retreat and Christianity was spreading. Despite his mother’s strong influence, Augustine was not baptized a Christian until he was in his early thirties.

He remained a pagan for years, following the Manichean school of thought. But over time he became disillusioned by the teachers and teachings.

Eventually, he converted to Christianity, due to no small part to his mother's hope and faith that he would accept Christ.

Augustine was a great thinker, this is a philosophy book as much as it is a religious book as much as it is an autobiography as much as it was exposing the soul to God.

I liked it. Well, all of it that I read *grumbles to self about checking the details of a book*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of St. Augustine.