Carrie's Reviews > Catch of the Day

Catch of the Day by Kristan Higgins

Nov 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, chick-lit, read-2009, humorous, small-town, manipulative-friends-family
Read in November, 2009

First, I want to say I think Ms. Higgins is better than 90% of the romance writers out there. She writes evenly, creates well-developed characters, her descriptive passages add color and interest without being wordy, and she can write a believable dialog. This is the second book of her's I've read, and I like that she weaves pathos as well as humor into her novels.

Possible Spoilers:
But.....and there are several "buts" for me...this books was not nearly as enjoyable as it could have been. For one thing, the book is written in first person present, which is awkward in my opinion. Why do that? First person past isn't my favorite, but it beats present tense. Secondly, I don't enjoy reading about embarrassment and humiliation. There is a certain brand of humor that I don't find humorous, and laughing at other people's painful situations is one of them. Maggie is continually subjected to embarrassing situations, either of her own making or due to cruelty of "friends" and "family."

In addition, we are never privy to the emotional inner-workings of the male love-interest (a short-coming of first person narrative, perhaps). Malone remains a mystery, and some of his most dramatic actions (and reactions) are never explained. Which leads to my last complaint, the ending isn't believable for the simple reason that we DON'T know what motivated Malone in the first place, so how do we interpret his change of attitude at the end? This book badly needed an epilogue. For the time and effort I put into the book, I felt like I deserved more insight into Malone.

So, I like the quality of Ms. Higgins' writing, and I like her ability to plot believable stories. I loved her first book, "Fools Rush In" and based on that, and her writing, I will definitely read more of her books. But "Catch of the Day" was a missed opportunity for a really, really first-rate novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch of the Day.

01/04 marked as: read

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Funny, I think she must have heard from a lot of people that this book needed an epilogue, because she pretty much provides one in Somebody to Love. The heroine of that novel inherits a house in Gideon's Cove and walks into the diner the day Malone very publicly proposes to Maggie.

Carrie Really? I haven't read that book. I might just to feel some closure here! ;-)