Mary-Beth's Reviews > An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield

liked it

I would have preferred to have more interesting factoids about space (did you know that you will grow an inch or two while up in the ISS for 5 months without gravity?) and actual descriptions of the experiments being done on the astronauts (instead of the generic statements about the importance of "science"). Instead the book focused a lot on how accomplished Hadfield had to be to become an astronaut, and the rather trite life lessons he's learned during those experiences (he seems particularly proud of the phrase "square astronaut, round hole," which he comes back to at multiple points throughout the book). At least he acknowledges several times that he was an absentee father since it seems like one has to be pretty self-centered with single-minded devotion to succeed as an astronaut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

December 13, 2013 – Shelved
December 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 26, 2013 – Started Reading
December 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Alex Carr It bugged me too when he would just use the word 'science' as an all-encompassing noun and adjective for the things that went on. Perhaps it was that he just couldn't talk about any of the experiment purposes or results due to NDAs or unpublished results.

Laura Well the book cover does say, "an Astronauts guide to life on Earth." The title is a give away on that front. Like the commenter before he may not be able to talk certain experiments, especially ones that are incomplete or classified. If you're wanting to find those answers google and NASA have masses of information. Just my two cents.

Karen In the interviews he did with NPR, he mentioned that he too wished he could have said more about their studies. Re: his "self-centered"ness,I liked when he said that sometimes single-minded devotion bears a strong resemblance to pig-headedness, and thought he made a pretty big effort to acknowledge how that plays out, how important it is to truly appreciate his support system.

Jazzmine Oh god. I felt the same. How much can a person go on and on about how amazing they are? That was the entire essence of the book. I wanted more "science" and less "I AM AMAZING. LOOK AT HOW HARD I HAVE WORKED." When I finished reading it, I kinda felt like, I understand why get annoyed about funding because they go through a whole lot of training and may not ever really do that much with it.