Becky's Reviews > Sh*t My Dad Says

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

bookshelves: 2013, humorous, reviewed, audiobook, owned

Fuuuuuuuuuck! I could kick myself. I have avoided this book for so long, thinking that it would be lame, like Stuff White People Like: A Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions, but then Audible was having a sale, and this was like $4, AND they had recently credited me $10 for being awesome... or buying audiobooks or something. So I decided to take the chance on it, and a better $4 I could not have had Audible spend on me today.

I fucking loved listening to the shit that Justin Halpern's dad said.

My dad was in the Navy until I was about 16, so there was no shortage of... inventive language in my house. And my dad is extremely blunt. You don't ask my dad if you think that a fancy outfit you just bought makes you look fat, because he'll tell you not only that it makes you look fat, but that it's ugly, too.

So I appreciated Sam Halpern, and only wish that my dad was as witty. Some of the things that he came off with had me laughing hysterically. I listened to this on audio, so I can't quote (dammit!), but there were some really good ones.

I actually particularly liked the format of the book, with alternating vignettes and lists, and how the vignettes were led with the Shit That Was Said as a header, and then the story gives you the events that led to it. You get the funny twice, and in two different ways. First, the "OMG! Where did THAT come from?!" way, and then as the punchline where it all comes together. I loved it.

Oh, and I really loved the last chapter. It's kind of out of character from the other ones, which jarred a bit, but the justification for it (and knowing a bit of the history which is implied) more than made up for it. It's touching, and insightful, and good advise, and shows that Sam Halpern may be a crotchety old man with a foul mouth and a short temper, but he has a good heart and loves his kids.

If I had one complaint about the book, it would be that it wasn't long enough. So I think I'll be picking up "More Shit My Dad Says" one of these days (when Audible has another sale. :P).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sh*t My Dad Says.

December 13, 2013 – Started Reading
December 13, 2013 – Shelved
December 13, 2013 – Shelved as: audio-pending
December 13, 2013 –
5.0% "I think I kind of love Justin Halpern's dad."
December 13, 2013 –
30.0% "OMG. I totally love Justin Halpern's dad. :D"
December 13, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013