Dolly Mcroberts's Reviews > Microchip: The Agenda Is Now

Microchip by Chey Barnes

I just finished the Microchip novel and I must say it is indeed an up to the minute, well timed book. It contains many issues that have a direct bearing on the concerns of many people both worldwide and some that I know personally. My own social circle is abounding with knowledgeable people highly concerned about government intrusions into our personal lives; everything from simple matters such as taking our picture at red lights, surveillance cameras, body scanners, to tapping our phones and much worse. Many I know are of the belief that is only a matter of time until a forced microchipping program is forced upon us by a government grown out of control.

The topics are controversial in nature and sure to incite strong reactions and perhaps contention from its readers, but the potentially bleak subject matter is well handled in a very discerning and proficient manner with ample helpings of inventiveness and humor. There are some playful and amusing portions to balance out the distressing subject matter and even a romance thrown into the mix.

It was a great page turner and very hard to put down. The story grips you at the beginning and holds you until the very end starting with a very contrasting cast of characters. You have those from simple walks of life such as Toni the school teacher, in my opinion the main character of the book; a loveable but apparent borderline alcoholic. I loved the Toni character as she has much heart and pines deeply for those she left behind. You also have Glick, a rough freedom loving Harley Davidson bike riding scumbag who steals everything he can get his hands on and terrorizes every town he passes through. An unlikely romance blossoms between the two, but I won’t reveal too much- don’t want to spoil the surprise.

The health care profession is represented by Emma, a 75 year old great grandmother stillworking despite her advanced age to support her great grandson T.J. She is one of the more endearing main characters; some in the book can be pretty unlikeable at times displaying narcissistic and pompous dispositions. These huge personalities with their extreme diversity in temperaments help make for the realistic character portrayals.You also have preachers, nondescript city workers with their families and ranting right wing kooks all the way up to the topmost echelons such as senators, trust fund babies and the upper, upper out of sight 1%.

Marlene Carson a former senator of Ohio is forced from her lofty position in the senate due to her opposition of mandatory microchipping. She struggles initially to find an exception that will allow her to avoid taking a microchip and eventually leads the charge politically, taking a stand for what she believes in. She and her “born with silver spoon in mouth” husband Curt travel halfway around the world looking for the ideal place to settle. After many months of searching and looking they are introduced to a colony of dissenters within the United States that promises to provide exactly what they are looking for.

All of these characters are forced to take a microchip and the novel skillfully portrays how each person individually handles the conflict that is being thrust upon them. I must say I would have liked to have seen more character development in regards to the bad guys, but the manipulative games that the antagonist play with one another was a real hoot, and the comeuppance that is meted out at the end is well deserved.

All of the players converge at a central location where that interact and settle, I was worried at first that it was going to be a FEMA death camp with its high walls, barbed wire fence and guarded security towers but was relieved to find it was actually a modern high tech facility that was struggling to maintain its independence and dignity in a world gone mad. There we discover advances in science with a full laboratory devoted to counteracting the effects that the microchip has on the population as well as other advances such as energy and food production.

While the behind the scenes work is being done at the facility, the rest of the world goes about their day to day business apparently unaffected by the microchip that has been planted within. I was a bit taken by how readily and easily the population fell into such a subservient position but in the book they really don’t realize what is happening to them until it is too late.

I found the book to be very informative and educational, perhaps a bit didactic at times. But it moves at a fast pace, is fully absorbing, unpredictable and very gratifying. I give this book a 5 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Microchip.

Started Reading