Sarah's Reviews > A Little Princess

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

193255
Oct 18, 2007

bookshelves: childrens, classics, page-to-screen, wishlist

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Princess.

October 18, 2007 – Shelved
October 18, 2007 – Shelved as: childrens
October 18, 2007 – Shelved as: classics
October 18, 2007 – Shelved as: page-to-screen
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-buy
December 17, 2014 – Shelved as: wishlist

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meghan This is a book that Brent HAS to read to your little girl. And I'm buying her a copy when she's born. One of my favorite memories is my dad and I reading this story together. It's a perfect daddy/daughter kind of book.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - added it

Sarah I've seen several movie versions of it but I can't remember if I've ever read it. I love Secret Garden though, by the same author. And I always felt kinship with Sara Crew (Crue? Crewe?) because of the name.

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meghan Most screen versions have a different ending than the book (because the ending is rather sad...well, the ending isn't, but reason for the ending is). But my favorite has to be the 1995 version directed by Alfonso Cuaron. It's just gorgeous. And even though the ending is wrong, it's so true to the book. (He's why movie 3 is my favorite HP movie so far too, even though it's not my favorite book.)

But yeah, A Little Princess and A Secret Garden are just absolute musts for all girls.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - added it

Sarah Yeah, I've seen a couple screen versions where the father ends up alive at the end, but the best version I ever saw I can't even prove existed. I think it was a BBC or a Masterpiece Theater version that I saw rerun on the Disney channel. I loved the girl who played Sara. In this version she gets adopted by the man next door, because it turns out that he knew her father and was somehow responsible for him losing his money or something. But after a few internet searches, including IMDB and Wiki, I can't find the version anywhere. It's not the one with Amelia Shankley, I don't think, because that girl does not look familiar. But yeah, hate the Shirley Temple version.

message 5: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meghan How can you hate the Shirley Temple version?! She sings! She dances! And she cries! I love all the movie versions.

But the one you're talking about is the true ending to the book. Interesting that you can't find the version though. I've thought I've seen them all.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - added it

Sarah I love most Shirley Temple movies but that one just is not a favorite of mine. I don't like the "happier" ending and I don't like the Becky.

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meghan I don't remember the Becky. I just like the hospital scene. It's so untrue to the book but there's just something funny about the whole thing. It's so melodramatic. Over-the-top.