Duskofdoubt's Reviews > Embers at Dawn

Embers at Dawn by J.C. Loen

Received this book c/o Goodreads First Reads.

I have to be honest up front - this book was definitely pretty daunting to dive into at the start. The cover art is undeniably gorgeous, but for someone who's been used to reading small fonts for ages, the large font sizing in the book reminded me a lot of books meant for pre-teens. But hey, I got over that pretty soon - I mean, I had an obligation to read this book after all, considering I received it for free. And let this be known; while Embers At Dawn may be my very first try at the Western genre, this was a pretty good welcome.

The main female character, Lee, is strong and spunky, and so amazingly likeable. Don't expect the run-of-the-mill damsel-in-distress you'd so commonly find in similar stories, because Lee wields knives, holsters guns, and uh twists the testicles of her enemies (like I said, spunky!), and it's most certainly refreshing to see such a strong female character once in every while.

With its Western genre, do expect the book to be pretty filled with crass words and descriptive violence. Yet despite how vulgar the entire book may be, it seems to be able to achieve a sort of engaging description that draws the reader in.

Overall, a pretty darn good book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embers at Dawn.

Finished Reading