Lynne's Reviews > A Big Little Life: A Memoir of a Joyful Dog

A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz

Nov 24, 2009

I've never read any of Koontz's other books. I think he mostly writes mysteries. This book is about his golden retriever named Trixie. Guess where he got her from?! CCI! If you've read my blog you've seen the pictures of my dad and his wife's new dog Emma (formerly known as Marla). Emma was given to them by CCI (Canine Companions for Independence) because he and Trudy do fundraisers and other volunteer work for them. How surprised I was then to see how much A Big Little Life focuses on the CCI program. What a coincidence! Dean Koontz and his wife Gerda did a lot of work with CCI as well, and like my dad and Trudy, they were given a dog who was released because of an injury while actually working as a support dog.

Some of the animal books I read I think people would like even if they are not animal lovers, but this guy, Koontz, is over the top and only dog people, like myself, could probably relate. If you know what Frosty Paws are, this book is for you (it's an ice cream treat for dogs that is sold at the grocery store, and my dogs love it). If you think a dog can understand a word like "nachos," this book is for you. If you are certain that dogs possess souls, this book is for you. If you think dogs can tell what time of day it is and what is expected to happen at certain times of the day, this book is for you. If you've ever loved a dog so much you sobbed when it was sick or passed away, this book is for you.

Dean Koontz doesn't know it, but he and his wife are my new best friends. Anyone who sleeps on the kitchen floor with their sick dog all night is my friend. Don't worry, this isn't a Marley and Me sob story, but the humor and the antics are similar. And yes I did cry, but I always cry while reading dog books because the authors always relate so well the love between a pet parent and their dog. And I know exactly what they're talking about. And it makes me cry. That's all.

Get this book. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Big Little Life.

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne He is one of my all-time favourite authors, and you will always find a dog somewhere in his stories.
I highly recommend that you read 'Watchers' one of his very first, and I consider, very best.
His genre is Horror, but you will be okay with 'Watchers'.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Nov 28, 2009 07:34PM) (new)

Diane Hi Lynne!
I am finishing up Merle's Door Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote. I had to post this to you since you are obviusly an animal person, like myself :) I will definitely check out A Big Little Life; but not for a while after I finish Merle's Door...sometimes I wonder why I continue to read books that span a dog or cat's life....but I do :)
I've read Koontz before, so I knew of Trixie, she is pictured on the back flap of many, if not all, of his books. But I did not know she was from CCI. Thanks for nice review!

Lynne Diane D. wrote: "Hi Lynne!

Hi Diane, I read Merle's Door too. I'm glad you commented, and yes, I am most definitely an animal person! I even have a book called The Good, Good Pig - about a family who raised a pig! It's a true story, with pictures and everything. I'm nuts, I know. I just have a special place in my heart for animals :)

By the way, Wesley the Owl is a really good animal book too, if you haven't read it.

Lynne Suzanne wrote: "He is one of my all-time favourite authors, and you will always find a dog somewhere in his stories.
..."

Hi Suzanne, thanks for the info about Watchers. I'll have to put that on my list of to-reads. Did you happen to read his book called "The Darkest Evening of the Year"? I have it, but haven't read it yet.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I'm going to look through the stacks. I do not recall it offhand, but 'Dark Rivers of the Heart' was very moving and dealt with his longtime issues with his alcoholic father. Very sad.

message 6: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl (last edited Dec 29, 2009 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Lynne and Friends,
I read A Big Little Life in September - I gave it 5 stars! If you're interested in trying any of Dean or Trixie's fiction, please check a new group on goodreads that I created it's called Koontzland - Dean Koontz. It's a great place for Koontz fans and Dog lovers too! In January, We'll be reading Watchers and could use more group members. Thanks!