Randy's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

Oct 18, 2007

Recommended for: Fans of Fantasy Books
Read in July, 2007

I recommend this book to anyone with time on their hands who loves fantasy books. Frodo, a hobbit living in the a quaint village, stumbles upon a golden ring. This ring, though, contains evil powers and if the creator of the ring, Sauron, regains control of it, he could unleash desruction and chaos. Frodo, realizing the power of the ring, sets off with a group to destroy it. The road ahead is not easy for him, though. Many perils and obstacles lie in his path. Can he overcome them?

I found this book to be a great read. It is told in the form of a narrative. A couple of great themes for this book are "courage" and "the power of friendship". Being a narrative, most of the story is told in third person and characterization is done directly. There are a couple of things that may discourage people from reading this book. The first is old english. At first, I had a hard time understanding what "hither" and "thither" meant, but when read in context is easy to understand. Another problem is length. Some people may feel the book is too long or drag on. Nonetheless, this is a good book that I would recommend to anyone with an interest in the fantasy genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.