Paula Weston's Reviews > She Is Not Invisible

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult

This is a clever, clever story - and very well told. So many layers, so much to think about, and all undercut with a genuine page-turning mystery.

Laureth's narrative voice is authentic and likable, and her father's journal entries are fascinating (even for a maths-phobic such as myself).

The whole idea of a sixteen-year-old sight-impaired girl travelling across the Atlantic with her seven-year-old brother is a tense enough set-up - let alone with the pair then following clues through New York in the hope of finding their missing father.

It's Laureth's determination to push through her fear, and her protectiveness towards her brother, that drives this story as much as the mystery of her father's whereabouts.

And it's only now in retrospect that I realise what a challenge it was for Marcus Sedgwick to tell a story through the eyes of a blind person. The fact it feels so natural and effortless is a testament to his skill as a writer.

I've seen this book promoted as middle grade - and it's content is certainly suitable for that age group. But it will also be enjoyed by older readers (teen and beyond) for its cleverness and thought-provoking philosophical questions about the nature of coincidences.

It's certainly got me thinking a little more deeply about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Is Not Invisible.

December 12, 2013 – Shelved