Morgan F's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Vampires are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, so this novel, of course, was a must. I saw reviews going both ways, so I wasn't sure what to expect. This is also my first time reading Anne Rice.

I was not a very big fan of this book. The story was good, but I absolutely drowned in the writing. I still can't believe how blood thirsty vampires can seem so dull. Too many mindless descriptions, and I was often confused with what was metaphorical and what was actually happening. Other than that, it was just slow-moving. I'm sure there was action probably everywhere, but my eyes too dulled over to notice it. I didn't like Louis as a narrator; he just seemed like a whiny little baby to me. I understand that he was supposed to be all conflicted and depressed, but did it have to fill every paragraph? The vampires overall were enjoyable. At least they killed people, unlike these pussy "vegan" ones nowadays.

I did like the story, I just wish it was written differently. Much differently. I'll watch the movie, but I doubt I'll pick up another Rice novel anytime soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.

November 23, 2009 – Shelved
January 19, 2010 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 16, 2010 – Started Reading
February 16, 2010 –
page 32
9.25% "He's gonna kill the boy, isn't he?"
February 17, 2010 –
page 102
29.48% "CREEPY VAMPIRE CHILD"
February 18, 2010 –
page 226
65.32% "If a vampire shaves their head will it grow back, or will they just be bald for the rest of eternity?"
February 19, 2010 – Finished Reading