Manda's Reviews > 1984

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

You are the dead.

Winston is a lowly clerk who works in the records department in the Ministry of Truth in Oceana. The year is 1984, and everything Wintson thinks he knows and thinks he believes is not so. Big Brother controls all industry. Big Brother controls the records and media. Big Brother controls the humans. Big Brother controls the world. Winston knows he does not agree with Big Brother. in fact, Winston hates Big Brother. People go missing all the time, but nobody says anything because everyone forgets about these people as if they never existed to begin with. Winston remembers. Along with his new lover Julia, Winston wants the status quo to change.

I never read this book in high school. My high school wasn't the greatest in the English/reading comprehension of scholastic, but that's a story for another day. I was a bit worried about reading this. I don't know why exactly, but something about it had me always putting it aside to read it another time. That time was now. I am so happy I finally read this, and am a bit disappointed in myself for putting it off for so long. I have read a lot of dystopian fantasy, but nothing has ever compared to what this is. Admittedly it took me a bot to really find this book interesting, but once I had my catch I realized how beautiful Orwell's story is, and how terrifying at the same time. I was not expecting the ending that Orwell gave us, and I am really happy it ended the way it did. Though it is fantasy this book does a good job of bringing us down to Earth that life is not perfect and things don't always work out the way we want them to, especially when Big Brother is involved. I highly recommend reading this book, if you haven't yet. It is one that I will most likely reread every few years.

I give this a 4.5 out of 5.

Remember, Big Brother is always watching. ALWAYS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

December 11, 2013 – Started Reading