Morgan F's Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

I enjoyed the book even if I'm not all that sure about the message.

This book was the true story of Susanna Kaysen who was committed to a mental hospital when she was 18. The chapters were short and crisp, and could most likely be read as short stories in themselves. The book was also interspersed with official forms documenting Kaysen's two year stay at McLean, which Kaysen only got the rights to many years after with the help of a lawyer. Kaysen kept her writing humorous and curt as she talked about the various patients, doctors, and incidents at the hospital. I liked these chapters, but got bored later on in the book after she left the hospital and began to describe the bounds of her illness. I'm a teenager myself, and my attention span is short.

I enjoyed the book for its quirkiness and memorable characters, where others might like it for its comments on mental illness and the treatment of the mentally ill in the 60's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.

November 23, 2009 – Shelved
July 31, 2010 – Shelved as: read-2010
July 31, 2010 – Finished Reading
August 12, 2010 – Shelved as: its-a-girl
November 28, 2010 – Shelved as: small-sized

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ The movie was really great! Does the book differ?

Morgan F I've only seen the trailer for the movie, and it looks like it does.

I'm getting the movie on Netflix, so I shall see.

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ K, I'm gonna read this one. I like seeing how it compares from movie to books or books to movies. 9 out of 10 times the book is always better though.
Eragon should have NEVER became a movie. Tsk!

Morgan F The Eragon movie ripped out my soul. I stormed out of the theatre. How could they have not even included the DWARVES?

message 5: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I left after an hour of watching that. It's an abomination. Speaking of these books. Where the hell is the 4th book already??

Okay. Work. Must Go. This place is addictive >.<

Morgan F I don't know. I'm sure Paolini already has it written. He just likes to torture us. Can't he at least give us a cover?

message 7: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ It's probably just a rumor, but I heard that he might not stop at 4 he might be doing a book 5. Grrrrrrrr.
I don't mind it, but at the same time I wish he'd just give his fans some news already!

Morgan F What happened to a trilogy?

message 9: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Apparently there's no such thing these days.