Diane S ☔'s Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

From the opening sentence, I could tell this was going to be a somewhat difficult read. In the fifties, mixed marriages were frowned on, not just black and white, but in this case Chinese and white. Marilyn had long wanted to be a doctor at a time when woman were expect4d to marry, keep house, have children and not much else. Then she meets James, A Chinese professor and finds out she is having his child, her plans change and they marry.

A story about expectations, about fitting in or not, being different from your classmates, a look at racial and gender prejudice, and a sensitive look at a family in crisis. As James and Marilyn foster their hopes and dreams on their daughter Lydia, they are blind to what is really happening in their family. After her death, they search for answers and quietly truths and secrets are revealed. The reader hears the thoughts and feelings of each member of the family and what they find is emotionally shattering. They must now, as a family, pick up the pieces and start again.

In the face of tragedy it is natural to dwell on what is lost, instead of looking forward to what is left. This is the decision this family must make, and the author did a fantastic job of showing us that what led them here and how they can move forward. A well written, poignant and stirring novel by a debut author. A quiet story told with grace and wisdom.

ARC from publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

December 11, 2013 – Shelved
page 190
June 19, 2014 –
page 230
June 20, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Cherie (new) - added it

Cherie I will look forward to reading this. Thanks for the informal review, Diane. I don't think the author could have asked for more.

Diane S ☔ Thanks Cherie.

message 3: by Alena (new) - added it

Alena Really looking forward to this one, but I'm going with some "lighter" fare for July.

Carmen Great review! I ended up not enjoying this so much, but I agree with you that it was well-written.

Cheri Love your review, Diane! "A quiet story told with grace and wisdom" - such a beautiful sentiment. I went into this not knowing or remembering (if I ever knew) the basics of this story, but what a beginning!

Diane S ☔ Thank you, Cheri!!