Molly G's Reviews > The Machine's Child

The Machine's Child by Kage Baker

bookshelves: science-fiction

Sorry, just a moment, please, for me to stop gibbering over the ending.

All right. I'm back.

Even if I haven't read all the great sci fi, I'm pretty up on at least having heard of it. And I simply have no idea why I hadn't heard of the Company series much, much earlier.* No idea why it isn't better known and why Baker isn't right alongside Le Guin and Heinlein and Atwood and Card and Niven and Stephenson and others as genre staples/members of the pantheon. (Maybe not at Founding Father level like Asimov and Bradbury and Clarke and Huxley and Vonnegut [whether he likes it or not]** but Baker's books are damn good and very literary.) Simply fantastic.

* THANK YOU, many times, Jonathan Gordon, for introducing me to these books!
** Wells and Verne and Stevenson and Wollstonecraft-Shelley are the Proto Founders. I'm making all this up very shoddily 'cause it's not quite the point. Though of definite interest and I should probably do some research, now...

Very glad I have the next installment at the ready to start straightaway.

Reread 9-25-15. While all of the above remains absolutely true, I adore this series and think it should be a genre staple rather than obscure, rereading makes me more able to see the installments discretely, and this is definitely the most problematic for me so far, esp. re: gender politics—not just in the dubious central relationship but in increasingly obvious discrepancies in overall power dynamics. Ah well. Onto the last, which has some of those issues but I still love!

(Also, not a criticism of the books, just a funny inevitability of time passing—and me becoming a little more current-event-literate; it's funny how certain aspects of any future projection seem more or less prescient given evolving current affairs.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Machine's Child.

Started Reading