ester's Reviews > Tenth of December

Tenth of December by George Saunders

Dec 11, 2013

bookshelves: american-studies

Not every story in here is a killer, and -- as with many collections -- it helps to take some time to breathe between pieces, or you may find yourself wondering why such disparate people should have such similar-sounding inner monologues. But the title story is a knock-out, the kind that humanizes everyone involved, and will make you weep, unless your tear ducts are frozen because you are a lonely, imaginative kid or an older man at the end of his life out on the banks of a snowy pond. And the one about the CGs can be read over and over again while you marvel at his unshowy but profound level of skill.

Saunders shrewdly gets into the heads of dozens of characters to unpack our confused ideas about masculinity, death, class, sex, aging, good vs evil, and technology, and the inarticulate rage-tinged envy we feel when we (especially men) are denied what we feel like we deserve. He is insightful and wry and never preachy. Best of all, while in 90% of short stories, nothing happens, Saunders throws himself into plot like a kid into a ballpit. He seems to have a lot of fun making things happen for and around his characters, and bless him for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tenth of December.

December 11, 2013 – Started Reading