Morgan (Turbo)'s Reviews > The Rhythm Method, Razzmatazz and Memory: How to Make Your Poetry Swing

The Rhythm Method, Razzmatazz and Memory by Keith Flynn

Nov 23, 2009

bookshelves: nonfiction-songwriting

I like this book. It's got destinct parts.

The first part is about how good poetry is and how to make good poetry. The author, Keith Flynn, can really talk about poetry and how good it is. He must write all kinds of metaphore spinning it for his great love in his life, poetry. His admiration is inspiration (hopefully for my songs).

The middle part is a history lesson, which is good on the one-hand, other times it is a complete bore (i.e. French Prose Poetry). He continues with more history on Surrealism and other art movements of Europe. His point is to show the connection between the poets of that time and the artists they admired and wrote about. It is completely different from the first part of the book and the least interesting.

The third part is contemporary history, the driving force of creativity in poetry now, the folk song and hip hop (AKA Slam). The author speaks a lot about the blues and it's progressions from one decade to the next. He writes about many different genres, but they are often too brief and like the last part, the connection to poetry is often very loose.

All and all I liked it but was expecting a book more about poetry than I was presented.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rhythm Method, Razzmatazz and Memory.

November 23, 2009 – Shelved
November 23, 2009 –
page 37
July 30, 2010 –
page 130
39.39% "(I started attacking it from front and back of book, esp chapters of hip hop.)"
Started Reading