terpkristin's Reviews > Words of Radiance

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: tbr_2014, 2014, audiobook, dead-tree, fantasy, kindle

I finished this book last night and wow, was it a rush at the end. Just like The Way of Kings, the book had some slower points (the first set of interludes in particular dragged for me a bit) but finished in a whirlwind of excitement. There were some twists and turns along the way, though many of the end outcomes were somewhat predictable, such as (view spoiler)...

I'll write more once I've decompressed a bit. My immediate thought, now having finished this, is that I really want to re-read both The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance back-to-back. When I started Words of Radiance, there were definite parts of WoK that I had forgotten, and there were definitely things early on in WoR that played a role later...things that may have seemed small at first, or characters that I didn't think much of, until they came back or were referred to later...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Words of Radiance.

Quotes terpkristin Liked

Brandon Sanderson
“If something had been done one way for such a long time, he figured there was probably a good reason. Behind him stood the shadowed cubbies of a cobbler’s”
Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

December 11, 2013 – Shelved
December 11, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 11, 2013 – Shelved as: tbr_2014
March 7, 2014 – Started Reading
March 14, 2014 –
page 200
18.38% "Slowly getting through, thanks to some mega work stuff monopolizing my time and energy. The first interlude has slowed me a bit, too, but I mostly blame work stuff. Here's to the weekend!"
March 16, 2014 –
page 430
39.52% "Into part 3. I'm reading a lot on my Kindle which is great but both my thumbs are bothering me, so I'd much rather be listening. But listening is kind of slow. #FirstWorldProblem"
March 22, 2014 –
page 617
56.71% "Listening more than reading but not as much time as you would think is be able to."
March 29, 2014 –
page 932
85.66% "Work's been kicking my butt but I'm still finding myself staying up to listen to more of this book. I'm going to finish today I hope...once I'm done with work that is. Silly launches."
March 29, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: audiobook
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: dead-tree
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: kindle

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Mike Remember the ending to Way of Kings? The ending of Words of Radiance is as awesome if not more awesome than that.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Now you're getting Scott to read epic fantasy!

terpkristin In fairness, there are worse things in the world. ;)

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Getting Scott to read paranormal romance?

terpkristin Yeah, like that.

In all seriousness, Way of Kings was the best book I read in 2012. This was a great follow-up. I can't wait to read them both again. That said, they did have similar pacing and, to some extent, flaws...and I kinda hope that the next book addresses that.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Luke Burrage said to skip the artist's story in the first book.

terpkristin Well that would make the 2nd book rather...interesting, given that the story is largely centered around her this time.

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Maybe go back and read the artist chapters in book one before starting book two.

Sandi I've still got 10 hours or so of listening to do, but I just had to peek at the spoilers. I KNEW IT!!!!!

terpkristin Yeah, I was actually more afraid that the 1st wouldn't happen than the 2nd. I'd have been upset if the first didn't.

Sandi terpkristin wrote: "Yeah, I was actually more afraid that the 1st wouldn't happen than the 2nd. I'd have been upset if the first didn't."

Yeah, it's sure setting up like #1 isn't going to happen. (view spoiler) #2 shouldn't, but I know it will.

One of the bad things about audio is that I have no idea how to spell the characters' names.

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Sandi wrote: "One of the bad things about audio is that I have no idea how to spell the characters' names"

I discuss books at work over chat, and this always makes the discussion harder. Lol.

terpkristin #firstworldproblem