Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Nov 22, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy

I didn't really have high expectations for this book, and I was pleasantly surprised. I disliked Coraline and didn't feel like it fulfilled that 'fairytale for adults' criteria, but Stardust makes up for that :)

Reading Stardust is an odd experience, you get sucked into the cutesy fairytale, and then something happens that reminds you that this shouldn't be shelved in the kids section. It was quite jarring and mortifying to see a sex scene in there (with talk of nipple and p33n!) and then random animal slaughter. My face was literally like this D: though I will admit that it serves as an effective reminder of what kind of book this is.

I dont really have any major criticisms apart this book, just things I wish had happened a little differently, or things I want to know more about. I wish the old witch had met a nastier fate, and that the whole shebang about Lilim and her sisters had been explained a bit more. It didn't hinder the story, I'm just intrigued.

All in all, totally adorable story that will suck you in for an afternoon. I can't possibly articulate how CUTE this book is, but be prepared for random sex and slaughter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

November 22, 2009 – Shelved