Lisa Eckstein's Reviews > Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: read-2014, favorites

Cath writes fanfiction. She's really good at it, she's internet-famous for it, and it makes her happier than anything else -- particularly when anything else involves interacting with strangers, negotiating unfamiliar places, or encountering new situations. Unfortunately, Cath's twin sister has insisted that the two of them go off to college, and she's refused to be Cath's roommate, so Cath is in for a lot of terrifying newness.

I loved this novel. It's clever, emotional, funny, and populated by a wonderful cast of characters. I've long been fascinated by fanfiction, and I was impressed by how thoughtfully Cath's passion is used as an element of the story, as well as how both the fanfic and the (fictional) source material are presented throughout the book. The novel is about much more than writing fic, including family, romance, and mental health, and the various plotlines work well together. Even the parts of the story that cover standard YA territory are handled unconventionally. The plot kept me guessing, and I was never disappointed by the way the story played out.

I'm so glad this book lived up to the substantial amount of praise I'd heard before reading it. I'm eager to read everything else Rowell has written.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fangirl.

December 9, 2013 – Shelved
December 9, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 10, 2014 – Started Reading
January 10, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
January 10, 2014 –
15.0% "Started reading this morning, and had a very hard time pulling myself away to get anything else done."
January 11, 2014 –
26.0% ""It was just Levi--leaning against the lamppost like the archetypical 'man leaning against the lamppost.'" Love the voice and humor of this book."
January 15, 2014 –
56.0% "So many feelings! :)"
January 20, 2014 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Higgins I just finished this book and loved it too! I am now a huge Rainbow Rowell fan!