Tessa Teevan's Reviews > Beautiful Failure

Beautiful Failure by Mariah Cole

bookshelves: arc

4.5 Holy Debut Beautiful Lovin' Stars!

When I read that blurb, I knew I had to read this book, and let me tell you, I was not disappointed. Beautiful Failure is an extremely impressive debut novel by Mariah Cole.

Emerald Anderson is the type of character that you'll either love or hate, depending on how she's written, and Mariah Cole made me love from the very beginning. Long story short, Emerald's failed out of college and has been forced to move from New York down south to live with her grandparents as she tries to save money to be on her own once again. Plagued with the memory of her dead mother, she keeps everyone at arm's length and only enters into relationships that will benefit her. Eventually, she finds herself in front of a judge, and is finally forced to try and get her act together, even though she has no desire to.

When Emerald lands a new job at a lucrative club, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it, but the way it's written? I freaking LOVED it! I loved how strong Emerald was, but we still got to see her at her weakest, her most vulnerable. The transformation that she goes through in the book is a truly beautiful one, and as much as I loved the girl in the beginning, I love who she was in the end. she didn't completely change herself, but she became the person that she's always had the potential to be. And I loved every second of it.

Along the way, Emerald meets the mysterious, sexy Carter Black, and although she's attracted to him, she has no interest in a relationship. Unfortunately for her, he's relentless in his pursuit, and it's not long before she's starting to fall.

description

I really, really, really enjoyed this book. In fact, I'll even go as far as to say I loved it. The only thing that I didn't care for were her grandparents, and they were such a small part that it didn't really take anything away from me. I absolutely fell hard for Carter Black, and I felt the same about Emerald, although I wanted to shake her a couple of times. But Carter? Holy Hotness! You must meet this guy for yourself!

"I'm not trying to be your Prince Charming or your knight in shining armor. You're too fucked up for me to even think about saving." <-- Sounds like an ass, right? Wrong! This was hot!!

Mariah Cole does an incredible job portraying real life issues in a beautiful way. Her portrayal of Emerald was the highlight of this book for me. You could feel the changes in her as they gradually happened. It wasn't overnight, and I loved that. My heart also broke for this girl. You could feel the pain radiating off the pages, and every time she refused to cry, I wanted to do it for her.

This is the first in a series, but there isn't exactly a cliffhanger. Read this book. I highly recommend it.

This was me at the end. Can't wait for book 2!!

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Failure.

December 9, 2013 – Started Reading
December 9, 2013 – Shelved
December 9, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
December 9, 2013 –
10.0% "I made the mistake of starting this while I was drying my hair this morning and then I didn't wan tot go to work. I am freaking hooked. This is so good so far!"
December 9, 2013 –
35.0% "I am swooning so hard over Carter Black. \n \n description"
December 9, 2013 –
41.0% "Someone call the fire department because I am burning up. Carter Black. YUM!\n \n description"
December 9, 2013 –
47.0% " I'm not trying to be your Prince Charming or your knight in shining armor. You're too fucked up for me to even think about saving. \n \n Damn. Normally I'd be all scowly faced, but Carter Black made that sound totally sexy."
December 9, 2013 –
50.0% "I have a tip for Emerald. Amazon KDP. Blog tours. You can do it, girl!! :D"
December 10, 2013 –
85.0% "Sooo close to the end. I'm digging this book!"
96.0% "description"
December 10, 2013 –
100.0% "Holy Smokes! That surprise!! I like where this is going. Can't wait for book 2!! \n \n description"
December 10, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • FANTASTIC review ... ❤️❤️

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Wow!! Beautiful Review Tessa!!!
You convinced me to one click!!
xoxoxo

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ Great review, Tessa. I'll have to check this one out :)

Tessa Teevan Thanks, ladies! It was a pleasant surprise!! :)

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Need to check this debut out.. thanks.. any news on the second installment?

Tessa Teevan Liz wrote: "Need to check this debut out.. thanks.. any news on the second installment?"

Not yet. I need to start stalking her! It was set up perfectly at the end of this book. I can't wait!

message 7: by Amitaf (new)

Amitaf Loved your review and I'll give this book a try! Thx