Michelle's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Nov 21, 2009

bookshelves: coming-of-age, young-adult, juvenile
Read in April, 2011

What an original story! I loved reading this because I've never read anything like it before. It was very refreshing, and I adored the characters, the story, the graveyard. It was quite an endearing little tale. A few months ago I picked up American Gods by Gaiman. I couldn't get through fifty pages. It was just too vulgar. However, I'm glad to discover that he writes for young adults. His narrative style is charming, and he tells a really engaging story.

Nobody Owens is a boy being raised in a graveyard...by GHOSTS! In his less than traditional upbringing, Nobody, or Bod for short, learns about ghoul gates, dreamwalking, fading, and more. He also learns about poetry, grammar and Latin from various ghosts in the graveyard.

However, the ghosts can't teach him everything, and so Bod must go out into the world to discover what there is to learn about the modern world, one that is quite far removed from his isolated life in the graveyard. In the process, he finds out about family, friends, and saying good-bye.

My only real questions arose at the end. I wanted to understand the Jacks better. Their purposes didn't seem clear or developed, so it left me wanting to know more. I also would have liked to know a little more about Bod's guardian, Silas. He was a bit of an enigma.

Still, I really really liked this little tale!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.