Nick Cato's Reviews > Dark Fusions: Where Monsters Lurk!

Dark Fusions by Lois H. Gresh

1194742

(Review from the author)

This is the first time I've reviewed an anthology that features one of my stories, so I'll politely SKIP that one and get to the other 17 pieces that make up this collection edited by the great Lois H. Gresh. Obviously the theme here is monsters, but the scope of what makes a monster here is quite wide.

Among some of my faves are opening tale THE REST IS NOISE by Nicholas Kaufmann, in which a couple of gents learn the true, dark meaning behind music; Norman Prentiss' BENEATH THEIR SHOULDERS, where we're introduced to a very strange race of people; Cody Goodfellhows bizarro-horror hybrid THE FLEA CIRCUS is one of the wilder carny tales I've read in a while, complete with what is arguably the finest prose in the collection (which includes some well-timed humor).

My favorite of the collection comes from Ann K. Schwader: WHEN THE STARS RUN AWAY is a bleak, terrifying apocalyptic vision featuring a smart young girl and her father as they face the ultimate end; Lisa Morton's eerie GOLDEN STATE will give you a whole new look at the "gold rush," and Yvonne Navarro's FACELESS gets my vote for scariest story of the lot, as a woman has to deal with a feature-less man no matter where she is. If this one doesn't get your goosebumps going you must already be dead.

Christopher Fulbright's heartbreaking DEATH EATER deals with a father confronting a Lovecraftian beast in order to save his daughter from cancer, then Mark McLaughlin brings some sinister chuckles with AUNT PALOMA, a funny fairy-tale-like monster romp.

I didn't find a slow tale in DARK FUSIONS, which features everything from Miskantonic terrors to undead detectives, from epic monster fantasies to unusual situations in the workplace and among the clergy. These tales are varied so there's something for everyone, which could be hit or miss with some readers, but one thing holds true: these tales (even those with a dose of humor) encompass a very dark side of speculative fiction. Lois Gresh has harvested a fine crop here...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Fusions.

December 8, 2013 – Started Reading