Kim's Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Nov 20, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2010
Read from September 03 to 07, 2010

This review is difficult to write because I usually don't have that much to say about books I love. It's mostly facial expressions, gestures and noises when I try to explain why I like something. Oh and it will look like this was written by a 17-year old, not a 27-year old. And I'm sorry, but I just can't help myself. I even wish I could write this review in purple ink, that's how much I'm into this book. And Varen. ♥

If I ever had to describe the kind of guy I desperately want then I think Varen comes closer than anybody else. (minus the eyeliner, I just can't imagine it looks hot on any guy, just emo). You wouldn't believe how much I'm crushing on him. Oh don't give me that look, half the planet swoons over a dead guy whose genitals sparkle in the sunlight, so don't act like this is weird.

So, meet Isobel, your typical cheerleader who lives up to every stereotype that comes with being a girl who waves pom poms around in a short skirt. Meet Varen, your typical... Um... I dunno. Nothing I say will make him look good. So I'll stick with saying he's smart, witty, funny, deep, sardonic and not to mention interesting.

They are forced to work together on a school paper on Poe and I don't think I need to make clear how much both of them are looking forward to working with each other. To make matters even worse: It doesn't go smooth to begin with and Isobel's overprotective (I just say he's jealous and insecure as hell) boyfriend decides to make Varen's life miserable because he wrote his number on Isobel's hand in class.

Isobel didn't want Brad to know because he would overreact but her 'friend' Nikki, who I didn't like from the moment I met her, decided to tell anyway. There was a part about how badly she wanted to tell Brad. I could have punched her in the face.

But waring Varen didn't seem to be enough for Brad and the rest of his gang of idiots. They mess up the ice cream parlor (of all the places a guy like Varen could work...), much to my, and Isobel's disgust.

I won't give away too much of the story, because I want all of you to read this beautiful book but I enjoyed reading this so much.

The pink ribbon on the back... The raven... And the kiss. That kiss. I read those lines 50 times already and thinking about them still gives me chills. I'm in love!

I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

09/03/2010 page 45
9.0% "It's good, so far, but I hate Nikki's guts." 28 comments
09/05/2010 page 234
44.0% "Good god, the boy is hot." 6 comments
09/05/2010 page 342
65.0% 1 comment
09/06/2010 page 412
78.0% "The cool slip of the small metal loop pressed into her skin as he kissed her. Urgent. Gentle. So slow. ... Oh boy." 7 comments
02/25/2016 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I blame all the rave reviews!

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I so wanted to read this book! let me know how it is =)

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I start reading as soon as I get home from work ^^

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Yay! Happy reading :)

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks! ^^

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen YAY! this is so exciting! Happy reading!

~Tina~ Dame! I want this book in my hands N O W!
Happy Reading hun:)

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thank Jen, thanks to you, I'm itching to read this ^^

Tina, I'm sure it will be available in a mailbox near you soon ^^

Random but I like Varen's name (varen/raven). I'm really pretty sure I'll like the rest of him even more ;)

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Kim, I wonder if he has any piercings or tattoos?

~Tina~ I wish he had long hair though. That's my weakness right there.

oliviasbooks But it's so bad when guys keep their hair long although it is already thinning at the top. If they are wearing hats you know what they are hiding under that: An enchanted mirror. Better to keep it short, if you are not the Lion King, Tina.

~Tina~ Sorry, I'm a long-hair loving gal when it comes to guys. But I will admit it looks good on the younger ones, after 40 or so it just becomes wrong.

message 13: by Kim (last edited Sep 03, 2010 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm not into guys with long hair to be honest, young or old. It either looks dirty, ridiculous (add a long black leather coat that never seems to look like it fits on those guys and it's even worse) or well... girly.

Tattoos and piercings, that's an entiretly different story though. Unless when it's on one of those bodybuilder types, yuck. Or when they have too many of them.

~Tina~ Tatts and Piercings are cool, but I agree just as long as it's not like covered on there entire body.
I love the piercing when it's on the eyebrow. So sexy!

message 15: by Kim (last edited Sep 03, 2010 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I like lip rings, but mostly the ones that aren't in the middle. Eyebrows, not so much.

Some guys look great with it, some guys don't. It depends on what the rest of him looks like.

~Tina~ Agreed!
So...does Varen have tatts and piercings? Do let us know:D

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I sure will Tina ^^ (or Jen will beat me to it, either way, you'll find out soon enough)

message 18: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen No tatts. But eyeliner and a lip ring <333

message 19: by ~Tina~ (last edited Sep 03, 2010 06:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ I'm going to have to pretend there isn't any eyeliner but the lip rings is <3
Thanks hun!

message 20: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Eyeliner? Really? Eh...

I hope the lip ring will blind me completely so I won't notice XD

Morgan F I don't like eyeliner on guys. Long hair is okay on some guys. But piercings and tattoos? Yes please. Excepts gauges. Those are gross.

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Do you mean those large holes? I don't like them either. And I don't like piercings in places that are just plain weird, like under the troath and stuff. Yuck.

Morgan F How about those piercings that some girls get on their backs that look like corsets?

message 24: by Kim (last edited Sep 06, 2010 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim *shivers* Ew, I wish you could see my frown. It reminds me too much of people who hang themselves on meathooks for some reason.

I do love corsets, but that's besides the point.

Morgan F Gah. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

~Tina~ Ew.

message 27: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I like eyeliner on people like Criss Angel, Jared Leto, and my "I don't like to admit it because he's kinda weird and what not, but MAN can he sing!" crush, Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance.

message 28: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Hmmm, that Gerard guy... Not bad. But not bad enough ;)

message 29: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen He's kinda yummy. And I totally need to keysmash right now in honor of you going a fiver to this book.

Aaaaaaand NOW: kOh59¥_!*+.€_<>+psbeheipso!!!!!!!!!!

message 30: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen *giving, not going. Stupid iPhone autocorrect.

Arlene Five stars??? Woo hoo! I can't wait to read your review.

~Tina~ This ought to be good! Can't wait

Alexa I had a feeling you were going to like Varen. ;D
haha I forgot about the eyeliner. So were you completely blinded by the lip ring or are you fine with the eyeliner now?

oliviasbooks Cliffhanger?

message 35: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I love your keysmash Jen XD

Arlene & Tina, it was very good!

Alexa: I want to marry him! The eyeliner has to go though..

Olivia, yes, there are 2 more books coming...

~Tina~ Wow! I'm impressed Kim, I think this may be your longest review for a book that you really liked!
How can I not love this? Now, only if the book would just get herrrrreeeeee!!
Awesome review;)

message 37: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Yeah but it was mostly me fangirling over my fictional crush. I should have made a video of myself while I tried to explain it, it would have been so much better than my review, where I basically stumble over every word.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Alexa hehe What did you think of that one scene where he didn't have any of that on? I love both versions. XD

Oh, and like I mentioned to Jen, this is the song played during the ice cream scene: "Emily Not, Not Gone" by Cemetary Sighs

message 39: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic half the planet swoons over a dead guy who's genitals sparkle in the sunlight ROFL. I had never thought of it that way. Loved your review. Picking up my copy on Friday :)

~Tina~ There is some wicked music on there Alexa! Thanks for that, I'm gonna listen to the playlist while reading.
That is, if my book ever comes in!
Remind me not to pre-order popular books again guys!

message 41: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Louise lol sparkling genitalia! epic win.

message 42: by Loni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loni Flowers I LOVE THIS REVIEW! I just finished reading this and I felt obcessed with Varen, usually he wouldn't be my 'type' based on the kind that dress in all black...but they way he's described and his beautiful writing and purple is my favorite color and THAT kiss... and....ya I'm babbling too...Ahhh Varen <3

message 43: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks! ^^ Yeah he kinda brings out my inner babbler as well =D I'm glad you liked the book!

message 44: by Even (new)

Even Lin wats this book about
someone try n convince me 2 read it?

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Ponce ♥ i read this review and now i must have this book!!!

message 46: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Thomas Best review ever!! I loved the part about "a guy who's Gentiles sparkle in the sunlight" you go! This review made me want to read the book