Mary's Reviews > The Chocolate War

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

Oct 17, 2007

Read in October, 2007

This is one of my favorite books. I never read it as a kid, but I've read it several times now as an adult and it's still so beautiful. The writing is stark and concise, and so is the story, which is one of the most difficult plots to describe. This is one of those where you talk about the theme more than the actual story: "It's the best book about good and evil that exists," you tell someone, after trying to outline a chocolate sale at a religious boy's school that ends in a sadistic boxing fight.

I read an interview in which Cormier was asked if he thought the lesson is too dark, and he said that it's just the truth. The world is evil and there's nothing you can do about it, but he thought that trying to fight against it is the most important thing you can do, even though you're going to fail anyway.

On a side note, I met him once before he passed away, and he was not what I expected. For someone who writes such dark stuff, it was shocking to meet someone who may have actually been Santa Claus! He was the sort of guy who must have been someone's favorite grandpa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chocolate War.

02/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Stephanie Wow! I love this review, Mary. Cormier was such a fantastic writer..his prose was just so spare and beautiful. You're lucky to have met him. I remember finding his obituary in the paper and crying. He's one of those writers who helped me hang on during a very rough adolescence.

message 2: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Millié I totally agree with Mr. Cormier that trying to fight against it is the most important thing you can do, and this theme is really well developed through out the story. The most memorable and touching sentence was do i dare to disturb the universe?

Lovekitty I agree with you 100%. When I first read this book, it was hard for me to grasp the meaning Cormier placed. But you cleared that fog for me, and it makes perfect sense.

Andres I was amazed with this book as you did! The only thing I didn't liked about the book was the ending. Great review!

B.E.L.L.A.Mc Love your review. Thanks. :)