Derek Neighbors's Reviews > Scrum Mega Pack For the Agile Scrum Master, Product Owner and Development Team

Scrum Mega Pack For the Agile Scrum Master, Product Owner and... by Paul VII

Dec 07, 2013

This book is a group of seven books on the topic of agile methodologies from the author. The first "The Power of Scrum" does a good job providing some history and then covering the rules and practices to get started using Scrum. It's like a Certified Scrum Master class in book format. The second "72 Reasons Why Scrum Works" breaks down the Scrum roles and practices in a consumable format of _background_ then _reasons_. The third "Scrum Checklist" provides quick checklists for common Scrum ceremonies. I get worried that people that follow checklists get a bit prescriptive and don't tend to grow, but for someone just starting these are a great help. The fourth, "Scrum of Scrums" I could have done without. I am find them in practice to be mostly non-effective and propagate the notion of _scaling_ in the wrong ways. The fifth, "Scrum Tips" was a nice addition, but felt kind of jammed in. The sixth, "How to Meet a Project Deadline", had some practical advice that helps confirm that it was written by a practitioner and not a theorist. The seventh, "The Kanban Guide" was a bonus that did a rather reasonable job of explaining Kanban. Normally I would say this doesn't belong in a Scrum book, but because it was brief it was a nice way to expose someone wanting to learn more about Agile frameworks and methodologies to something that is compatible with Scrum.

The short nature of this book (under 200 pages) and its nice indexed format makes it great introduction for someone wanting to take a stab at Scrum, not to mention it is suitable for a reference for those currently already practicing as well.

Don’t take my word for it though. The author offers some free chapters as part of his Free Scrum eBook.

* disclosure: I was provided a free copy of the book by the publisher, but I was not compensated for reviewing it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrum Mega Pack For the Agile Scrum Master, Product Owner and Development Team.

December 1, 2013 – Started Reading