Fiver's Reviews > The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit

The PreHistory of The Far Side by Gary Larson

Why, why on earth would I list a comic book as a five-star? How could I dare to put this book on an equal level with the greatest literature that man has ever put to page?

Firstly, let me say that I reviewed this book for what it is: a simple history, description, and exploration of a popular one-panel comic strip mysteriously called "The Far Side". It's not deep, it's not emotionally moving, and it doesn't aspire to be any of these things. It simply does its job perfectly.

This book is entertaining from the first page to the last. It seems to be entirely focused only on those topics that are most interesting. A few pages on hilarious early attempts at cartooning, a few pages on misunderstood comics, a few pages on embarrassing mistakes, all of this mixed together with trivia about Gary Larson and his little one-panel world. This book gets five stars simply for making me view comics in a different light, and helping me realize that there truly is an entire world within what I would normally pass up as an unimportant profession. Gary Larson laughs at himself and everyone else as he explores all the smallest nooks and crannies of the strange, funny, and insightful world of the joke. It's a study of humor, and bound to be entertaining even to those who never pick up a comic book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The PreHistory of The Far Side.

Finished Reading