Sophie's Reviews > Mutilate My Heart

Mutilate My Heart by Emily Godwin

[Review also posted on my blog http://beentherereadthatreviewedthebo...]

I loved the blurb of Mutilate My Heart. I mean, how could I complain about the idea of dating a rockstar in my favourite band?! It was definitely the kind of book that I like to read.

Emily Godwin’s writing was a winner for me. The main story was about Becca and Sketch, and on the side Carli and Corpse. Yet Emily made sure all the other characters like Ink, Nightmare, Banshee and Maddie were never forgotten and even more so, we learnt a lot about them and their personalities too. All the characters meant it could have been quite easy to get confused between them, but Emily made sure that didn’t happen.

Whilst I was hooked throughout the whole book, I kinda felt like more could have happened in the first half of the book. I mean, it was all fun to read but maybe a couple of small twists could have livened the story up even more.

However, there was plenty to love about Mutilate My Heart. From a personal perspective, having read American Girl on Saturn, which was written by Emily’s sister Nikki, I really liked the mention of Spaceships Around Saturn and Sebastian’s Shadow, the bands featured in Nikki’s book.

I also loved Becca’s character in that she was a total fangirl like me but also because she seemed a caring, loyal friend. I wasn’t a massive fan of Sketch. For some reason, I didn’t feel connected to his character like I expected I would. However, I liked his relationship with Becca. I was probably more interested in Carli and Corpse’s kind of relationship as I thought Corpse was awesome.

The paranormal elements of Mutilate My Heart were great. I felt they really made this book stand out and added to the intrigue of the book for people who perhaps don’t just want romance.

Finally, I loved the ending. Like, really loved it. It was the kind of dramatic stuff I felt this book had been crying out for, and it was well worth the wait. Obviously, I can’t talk about it. But you need to read it. You need to read the whole book, even if you’re not a fangirl like me, but then at the end of it, you may well be one.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mutilate My Heart.

Started Reading