The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog's Reviews > Beautiful Failure

Beautiful Failure by Mariah Cole

Wow, this book was just brilliant and so different to what I'm used to reading. Yes there was an element of romance but to be honest, for me, it was secondary to the main story line which revolved around Emerald Anderson... the mother of all bitches, the girl who appeared not to give a shit, who said it how it was, who had walls built so high, no one ever got through. The girl who who was a loner, had a chip on her shoulder.. the girl who was one massive fuck up but would never admit it:
"I figured someone as fucked up as me would be much better company..."
"I'm not fucked up."
"Yeah, you're the most put together person I know."

That was the girl the world saw. The girl I saw was strong willed, fiercely independent, feisty and tough as old boots. Well she had to be, especially when the only role model she'd ever had in her life was a whore, an alcoholic and a woman who was more intent on being a best friend than a parent.
For my fourteenth birthday, she poured me my first shot and offered me a line of coke, saying "Welcome to life, Em!"

Emerald lived by the lessons her mother had taught her... and trust me these weren't your conventional words of wisdom a mother imparts on her child. However, when the chips were down, it was those words made her stand up and fight. She wasn't Cinderella and she didn't need to be saved and she most definitely wasn't after a pity party and so on my part, she never got it. Instead I found myself willing for her to never give up because I saw (that despite everything), she was ambitious. She had hopes and dreams like the rest of us so when she fell, I rooted for her to get back up. I fought her corner and found myself furious at some of the situations she found herself in through no fault of her own. Someone give the girl a break!!!!!
"You think I'm going to open up and tell you shit I've never told anyone because you're sexy? Because you think I'm a lost soul who's turned to stripping and needs a Prince Charming or a Knight in shining armor to save me? If you do you've got the wrong fucking girl."

"Beautiful Failure" was about Emerald's journey of self discovery, it was about facing the demons she'd never acknowledged and realising that the world and the people in it weren't all that bad. It was about accepting the hand of friendship, learning to trust and learning to have the courage to give your heart to somebody. Which brings me on to Carter Black. God I fell in love with this man instantly. He was different. He cared. He was beautiful, selfless, persistent and completely none judgmental. He saw something in Emerald very few people had taken the time to look for, an inner beauty she hid from the world... and he wanted her.... just as she was (big heart fluttering sigh!!!!):
"I slept with a married man once..."
"How did that happen?"
"How? Don't you mean, "Why?"
"No. Asking why would imply that I'm judging you. How implies that I want to understand."

See, how could you not go weak at the knees? Unfortunately, despite being a hottie and an all round good guy, there wasn't much else I knew about him. He was one big mystery and by the time I got to the end of the book, I was no closer to knowing who he was.

The writing in "Beautiful Failure" completely drew me in. (Told from Emerald's POV), it was frank, to the point and with nothing held back. I got the good, the bad (and there was definitely a lot of that) and the ugly with no sugar coating.. a true reflection of her character. Although told in the present day, there were also several flashbacks to the past but they fitted perfectly with the flow of the book and really helped explain Emerald's actions and behaviour. Honestly, I got a really good hold on her character and I saw a survivor... a fighter and I definitely flew the flag for her.

Towards the end of the book, the story line took the mother of all twists!!! Yup, this book did not follow the conventional formula of boy meets girl, they get together and live HEA. However, with everything Emerald had been through, I think the turn of events were realistic even though they left me with a heavy heart. Right up to the last page, I thought this book was taking a different path and then BAM, the last line hit me. I had a cliff hanger that made me sigh with relief and made me feel all warm and fuzzy and giddy. Just brilliant. Now I need the next book!!!! And I need it now.

I absolutely loved "Beautiful Failure," the characters, the story line, the writing and the fact that it wasn't like anything I've ever read before held me captive. This was definitely a 5 Hearts read for me and I would definitely recommend you click!!!
(arc provided for a honest review)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Failure.

December 5, 2013 – Started Reading
December 5, 2013 – Shelved
December 7, 2013 – Finished Reading
December 8, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-hearts
December 8, 2013 – Shelved as: arc-received-for-honest-review
December 8, 2013 – Shelved as: december-2013
December 8, 2013 – Shelved as: blog-tour
December 8, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog This is so good. I'm loving it. It definitely isn't your conventional love story... in fact far from it in so many ways. Cinderella does not need saving!!!!