Karina Ramirez's Reviews > Because of Lucy

Because of Lucy by Lisa  Swallow

bookshelves: new-adult, arc

3.75 - 4 Stars

There was just something that stopped me from loving this book, but I can't put my finger on it. I don't know I felt like I was missing something, what? I'm not sure, but I know I was.

I loved the idea of the story BUT let me say this I'm from the U.S. and I don't know about everyone else in this country, but what I got from a "call girl" is definitely not what this book was about. Usually, at least in the states a call girl/center is more of um, an adult sort of thing, if ya catch my drift ....

So I was expecting something completely different, which would've been hysterical, but I'm not sure would have fit in with the story that the author wrote.

Ahem, okay so 'Ness' is this call girl, she doesnt want to be the doctor her parents want her to be, or at least she doenst want to be controlled by them anyway. So we meet her partyrific roommate who throws these ragers, and at one of these parties she meets Evan and he's well your typical hottie who has a bad rep, but not really. Anyway they start to get closer, but he's hiding something. Evan gets all these calls from someone and Ness is very paranoid til one day she finds out who it is, Lucy. We eventually find out all about Lucy and who she is to Evan. I don't want to give to much away though so there's my blurb about the book.

Back to the review, I really enjoyed the book, I just couldn't really get into Ness and Evan, they we're cute together and everything I just don't know. I loved Evan though, I think he was probably the best character in the whole book he was funny, whitty, and so loveable. Like I totally could date him (if he was ya know, real) I thought he was great with Lucy and that whole situation he went above and beyond what should be expected by anyone in that situation and I loved him.

Ness was a different story, this is probably why the book wasn't a solid 4 stars. I didnt like Ness. She just came across exactly as Evan and his friends described her; snotty and better than everyone else. That's just my general opinion. There was just something about her personality that I wasn't a fan of. Not to mention the whole thing with Lucy, that just annoyed me. Ness came across as whinny and selfish. (view spoiler)

It had a cute ending though and I'd recommend it

*ARC provided by author
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Lucy.

Started Reading