Emily May's Reviews > Little Women

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

did not like it
bookshelves: classics, clothbound-own

Never liked this one. I read Alcott back around the time I was first reading the Brontes and Dickens, and her books always struck me as incredibly dull in comparison. I was probably about 12, though, so I suppose I should try it again someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women.

Finished Reading
December 4, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Mohsen (new) - added it

Mohsen Faghfour Maghrebi Did you just called a classical novel so blah ? ok you are entitled to your opinion i just wanted to be sure!

Katniss Everdeen (aka Catnip) Wow I know it's your opion but I think this book was awesome!!!

Jasmine I have to admit the Hallmark card part is true. Despite that, I find the lessons taught to still be very insightful.

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal It did start out slow and it is preachy, but I liked to read about how the relationships evolved between the parents and their children, sisters with their sisters, new wives and new mothers etc. I think this is the first time I've had a different opinion than you, I guess it had to happen sometime lol

message 5: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Totally agree. This book just isn't interesting. It's better to read the main summary and enjoy the actual story from there.

Yuninda Agree. I fell asleep a couple times when I read this

Rebecca mclaughlin Love you soon much

message 8: by ✨Sara✨ (new)

✨Sara✨ @Katniss & @Crystal, I totally agree!
At the age of 7 I DNFd this book because it was a bit preachy near the beginning.
It does even out near the end though.

Ryza Rabino I respect your opinion but I do think we can all pick a lesson or two from this book. :)

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Malato I’m currently reading this and it is in my opinion so awful. Each chapter ends with some bizarre Christian moral and while I realize it is an old book these girls seem like they are all 8 years younger than the age said in the book. I’m glad I’m not the only one that has a bad opinion I was looking forward to reading this book. Oh well.

Steve R I agree - I called it a Norman Rockwell painting in prose in my review, but gave it 2 stars instead of one - Alcott does write well at points.

Kylie Aw I’m enjoying this one! The relationships are sweet, and I love Mrs. Marsh and Jo. It’s an honest reminder that it’s easy to coast and give in to your emotions, but life is messy, and if you want to be a good person and love your family well, you have to work on yourself. The sisters were also equal parts sweet and flawed, which I loved.

Kerri Smith That's the point, though! Women did have to be endlessly pleasant. Religion was the center of life. It's accurate for the time and place. Manners were all-important, and "good" girls behaved themselves. Its innocence is real.

Emily May Kerri wrote: "That's the point, though! Women did have to be endlessly pleasant. Religion was the center of life. It's accurate for the time and place. Manners were all-important, and "good" girls behaved themse..."

I updated my comment above. It's been over 10 years since I read this book so take my opinion with a grain of salt :)

Christina 😱

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara Little Women is one of my favorite classics. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

message 17: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Salvatore Oh yea you reminded me this

message 18: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Omg that's funny because this book was the ONLY classic i thoroughly enjoyed when I was younger, while I found Dickens to be incredibly boring in contrast😂

message 19: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia McIvers I liked it better as a teen than as kid. All that messy growing-up stuff!