Angie's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Nov 17, 2009

Read in December, 2009

This is the first book I have ever listened to on CD. I got both the CDs and the book because I wasn't sure how I would like being read to as opposed to reading myself. I opened the actual book, and was turned off by the format. It is a collection of letters (fictional letters) written from people in Guernsey (a small island in the English Channel) and an author living in London. I thought to myself "this is going to be difficult to read" and didn't get past the first 2 letters. Then on the way home from Thanksgiving, a very LONG drive, I stuck the first CD in, mainly just to see what it was like. I was immediately taken in my Juliet, the main characters letters, because in the CD she has an English accent. I love listening to English accents. Pretty soon I was enthralled. It took me a whole month to listen to the book, I have actually read several books in the meantime, but I really enjoyed my commute listening to the letters. I feel in love with Isola, she made me laugh and I wanted to meet her in real life. I cheered on Syndey, then later Dawsey. I got teary when I found out about Elizabeth. And I wanted to reach out and hug Kit and Amelia. I think the characters came more alive to me because I was listening rather than reading. I throughly enjoyed the book.