Sandy's Reviews > Darius & Twig

Darius & Twig by Walter Dean Myers

liked it
bookshelves: ya, fiction, library

They lived in Harlem, Darius and Twig and they both have dreams. Darius is a runner and Twig likes to write and they both have dreams of going to college. Knowing their backgrounds and their families, they hope their dreams are not “just dreams,” as they want to escape their lives and do something bigger. These sixteen-year old boys hope that somehow their love of running and writing will take them to the next level. It’s not like they have much support living the life they lead, but they have each other and sometimes that is enough. Yet in this novel with their families and the neighborhood gangs, the light at the end of the tunnel is dark and the boys seem to be giving up hope.

There’s a lot of talk about race inside this book, more so than I thought it needed to be brought up. I don’t know why the author had to mention every race and nationality that the boys dealt with unless it was to show the variety of people they interacted with. I think that most people know that Harlem has wide variety of people without the author mentioning it all the time. Darius and Twig have a unique relationship as they fed off each other. They inspired each other and pushed each other forward and that to me is a true friendship. I didn’t feel a great connection to any of the characters but I felt there was a great message inside the book. For it being such a short read, there was plenty of action and it had a powerful message about friendship, bullying and family.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darius & Twig.

December 4, 2013 – Shelved