Heather's Reviews > The Lace Reader

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

bookshelves: creepy-mansions-eerie-seascapes, j-adore-favorites

When I first saw this book cover, I had a mental Will Smith moment: “Awwww, hell no!” I thought it was the same as those novels centered around knitting or quilting but that lace was the new vehicle. Boy, was I wrong! It’s about so much more than lace reading (a kind of fortune telling based on the reading of lace), but I’m not here to plot summarize. I’ll say what I always say when I think a story is full of excellent twists. Be careful which reviews you read! I loved, loved, loved this story. It’s not some piece of literature that’s going to have a profound effect on your life once you’ve finished reading it, but it is the kind of story that draws you in & gives you something to look forward to during those moments of anticipation between chapters. If you like Salem, sketchy & eccentric characters, or stories where people look back on youth spent in a magical atmosphere (in their aunt’s rambling Victorian home or on some barely-populated island), then this book is for you. If you like just a hint of a ghost story but not a cheesy full-on haunting, this book is also for you. My favorite stories are those in which the main characters dig up long-buried family secrets, secrets which threaten to rewrite the history they thought they knew. Right before this novel, I read a similar one, as far as “skeletons in the closet," called The Monsters of Templeton. I couldn’t have picked better back-to-back reading than Lauren Groff & Brunonia Barry. Finally, please don’t be turned off by reviewers’ mention of the unreliable narrator in The Lace Reader. It’s truly part of the novel’s fun, and by the end, I think most of you will be satisfied with the explanation of events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.

November 17, 2009 – Shelved
January 7, 2010 –
page 50
14.16% "Must ... find ... more .. time ... to ... read! So far, this story is "wowing" me!!"
January 12, 2010 –
page 246
69.69% "Still loving this novel! I may not want it to end!"
January 14, 2010 –
page 330
Started Reading
January 15, 2010 – Finished Reading
January 18, 2010 – Shelved as: creepy-mansions-eerie-seascapes
April 1, 2011 – Shelved as: j-adore-favorites

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Samantha Barrett I love this book and reading these some of these reviews I can clearly see that they don't like the book because they don't understand this genre or maybe couldn't figure things out at the end. Glad to see someone who can enjoy this book for what it is. I don't know why people say they are missing information at the end either. It is wrapped up fairly neatly considering the twist ending.

Heather Glad to see someone else enjoyed it as much as I did! This is another example of how I shouldn't let negative reviews ever deter me from books in my queue. Reading fiction is so subjective, and what others hate, you may end up loving!