Ana T.'s Reviews > The Perfect Poison

The Perfect Poison by Amanda Quick

Nov 17, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009, mysteries-thrillers, paranormal, e-book
Read in December, 2009

I must confess that I hadn't picked up one of Amanda Quick's books in a long time and I was a bit undecided about reading one in the middle of a series. But Rosario's review intrigued me and the book was available so I decided to give it a go. And I am very glad that I did. I'm not sure if I will pick up the others in the series but this was a book I enjoyed.

I had no trouble with the paranormal aspects of the story and the characters' talents, they didn't overwhelm the story and the little bits I might have trouble with I put it down as continuity knowledge I did not have. There wasn't too much information about the Arcane Society but I did not feel that I needed more to follow Lucinda and Caleb.

Because this is definitely their story. After they meet and Lucinda hires him to find the truth about the murders they start spending more and more time together and it's easy to see how they are wary of each other and, at the same time, find something that attracts them. After they give in to that attraction Lucinda is ready to accept her feelings but Caleb has problems accepting what they have and where it might lead them. I really enjoyed it that she was strong and determined to help him.

What I also liked was the oppressive atmosphere one feels for most of the book. I think it was perfect for a Victorian set murder mystery.

Grade: 4/5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Poison.

message 1: by Rane (last edited Dec 27, 2009 09:09AM) (new)

Rane Fantastic Review Ana!
The books in this series can be stand alone then?

Ana T. Thank you! I don't know about the others but this one can. :-)