Anne's Reviews > Christmas Books: A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life, The Haunted Man

Christmas Books by Charles Dickens

liked it
bookshelves: own-copy, what-the-dickens

I liked A Christmas Carol, I liked The Chimes and I liked Cricket on the Hearth. The last two stories however, weren't that great in my opinion. I didn't get into the story of The Battle of Life at all until I was well past the first half of it. It wasn't entirely bad because of a few characters I liked; I also liked the little scene at the inn. Come to think of it, that's probably where I finally stopped sighing and got interested instead...
The Haunted Man was entertainable at most. It didn't move me as much as it maybe should have? I knew there was some suspense meant to be in there, but it just didn't have any effect on me whatsoever.

The story I probably liked best was Cricket on the Hearth. Great characters, great story with a very surprising twist in the end.

End conclusion is that I was planning on reading this book every year around the Christmas holidays, but after reading it for the first time now, I say once every 2-3 years and only the first three stories will be a lot more realistic instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Books.

December 3, 2013 – Started Reading
December 3, 2013 – Shelved
December 8, 2013 –
page 87
22.72% "Started the second story: "The Chimes". Hard to get into."
December 9, 2013 –
page 158
41.25% "Finished "The Chimes": a strange little story with loads of political references in it of which I sadly didn't understand a few. I'm glad I stuck with it though, cause it wasn't a bad story at all. Dickens is so good at depicting misery in an almost cheerful way."
December 16, 2013 –
page 245
63.97% "Finished 'Cricket on the Hearth', cute little story with a surprising twist in the end. Started reading 'The Battle of Life', but can't say I'm enjoying it very much so far."
December 24, 2013 – Finished Reading