Milliebot's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read January 7, 2019 to January 17, 2019.

Well I don't think I'll be rereading (or re-listening) to Harry Potter ever again.

-cue gasping-

Despite having forgotten most of the plot of this book aside from the major events, I wasn't invested and nothing was particularly surprising or moving. I don't really connect with or even like most of the characters in the series, Harry being the biggest offender on the list. I was reminded again of how much I dislike the epilogue too. For me, it was too much of a neatly tied bow, wrapping up everyone's relationships and all their damn kids' names. I still think Albus Severus is the stupidest name. Also, I know Harry lost a lot of people who were important to him, but I can't help wondering if Ginny really wanted to name her kids after all his dead friends and relatives. Good for Harry that it seems to be natural for Weasley women to bear plenty of children so he can honor everyone he's lost.

Anyway. I appreciate what this series has done for a lot of readers and I know Young Millie enjoyed these as they first came out. As an adult, however, I find myself with so many questions and nitpicks that I can no longer sit back and enjoy the ride. I don't think the writing is particularly great either.

In the end, I don't really feel anything for the series anymore. I don't hate it, but I didn't find it entertaining or emotional or funny or...anything.

Jim Dale still rocks though.

Finished Reading
December 2, 2013 – Shelved
January 7, 2019 – Started Reading
January 7, 2019 –
15.0% "I'm really only listening to this audiobook because after like, a year, it was finally available. But if it happens to return itself before I finish, I won't be all that upset. I just don't really care about the HP world! Jim Dale is forever fantastic though."
January 9, 2019 –
35.0% "I forgot that Kreacher had a change of heart after the kids are nice to him. That was sweet."
January 10, 2019 –
50.0% "Ron is a bit of a dick, isn't he? I don't remember all of the book, but so far he's really been useless. Hermione is the real star of pretty much the whole series, but at least Harry can do some decent spellwork. I don't really get what Hermione sees in Ron though.

Also I'm still hoping Kreacher is ok. The suspense!"
January 14, 2019 –
70.0% "I'm just guessing on the percentage here - they destroyed the horcrux with the sword, so I'm at that point - but I've only got 2 days before it gets returned to the library. I'm not about to wait another year for a copy of this to be available and I don't feel like picking up a copy of the book, so this might end up an unintentional DNF. We'll see!"
January 15, 2019 –
70.0% "I'm only at 63% - running out of time! But Dobert just died and I find his death the least impactful. I really never liked Dobert.

Still hoping Kreacher is ok"
January 17, 2019 – Finished Reading