Logan's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

bookshelves: mystery-suspense, own-bought-ebook, 2014-books-read, movie-tv

I'm still pondering this one, the day after finishing. Did I like this book? Can I appreciate it without enjoying it? I think, finally, the answer I've come up with is "yes."

If only for the sheer determination it takes to plan, organize, and deliver a plot that caters to highly intelligent, three-steps-ahead characters, I must reward Gillian Flynn with 4 stars. Not to mention the guts to write an ending that literally no character can be completely happy with (or reader, if the reviews have anything to say about it).

Like life, this one has no good answers, no full resolution. Nothing is tidy or easy, for anyone. Is it a pleasure to read a book that insists on heaping great mounds of shit onto already shitty characters? Not always, but I think Flynn took care to not make every moment miserable. The brilliance is in the way she builds up hope, only to dash it to pieces.

Flynn manages to manipulate her readers just as the characters manipulate each other, and it's through that process that we come to understand them. While I found the ending personally unsatisfying, I applaud Flynn for giving the characters what they probably deserved. There is not always a clear winner or loser, and sometimes, even our ability to be cruel is a sign that we ultimately care.

Genuinely thought-provoking, this one. I have no doubt the movie is in capable hands with David Fincher behind the lens, but knowing that the ending has been completely rewritten has me curious to see if they can pull it off. Total sidenote: I absolutely cannot picture Ben Affleck as Nick.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

December 2, 2013 – Shelved