Kazi's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Nov 15, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: 2011
Read from November 08 to 14, 2011

Terribly self-absorbed New Yorker with really small problems launches on epic voyage of narcissism where she interprets all cultural differences according to her horribly Western warped world-view/New England farm upbringing, while doing a whole bunch of whining about the problems she ran away from back in America. Along the way, she has unique insights such as 'meditation is hard' and 'Americans can't relax' and talks to herself in the voices of others. The book can really be summed up with the line of one of the Yogis, who upon listening to her whine about how she couldn't still her conscious mind, said "No one has ever had this problem before you, Liz." One star for the description of cussing at an Italian football match, which was sublime, and for the descriptions of Italian food.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie for the love of god Kazi, don't do it

message 2: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm with Jamie on this one.

message 3: by Kazi (new) - rated it 1 star

Kazi It's pretty bad so far...

message 4: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin Seriously. You'll never get that time back Kazi. Life is too short!

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Derk I decided to re-create this book in my own life:
EAT: Pete drives to Chicago, eats several hot dogs, including those from the Wiener Circle and Hot Doug's. He weeps while eating.
PRAY: Pete handles snakes. Not so much for religion as a necessity due to a flooded basement.
LOVE: Pete discovers that the internet offers so much MORE than goodreads and stew recipes.

message 6: by Traci (new)

Traci Now that's a book I could read!

message 7: by Kazi (new) - rated it 1 star

Kazi It was quite horrible. I listened to it on audiobook, which she reads herself and she also claims to have learned Italian, yet she still pronounces bruschetta as 'broo-shetta'. totally dodgy, I say.

message 8: by Jessi (new)

Jessi I've been avoiding this book like the plauge for a while now. I'm glad to know all of my evasive manuevers were not in vain. I will say, though, that I really enjoyed her TED talk.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I agree, her TED presentation was good. It's been posted on the library's web site for a couple of years now. And, to be fair, I didn't get past maybe page 8 or 9 of the book so I can't really pass judgement on it.